California: The NRA Files a Brief

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...-common-semi-automatic-firearms-and-magazines
    the only way to get some of our rights back is to sue.
    not one more inch...........

2. lostngone, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

But how can those be illegal!?!?

By the sounds of people around here I thought no one was trying take to our guns??? So clearly those firearms and magazines HAVE to still be legal buy and sell.

Edit: added word...

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When did you lose the right to shoot at stuff?

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Lost my right to legally own what I had already bought .

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So like pot in 48 states?

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The size of the magazine attached to a semi-automatic weapon has definite bearing on the amount of carnage that occurs during a mass-shooting event. In numerous such tragedies, the moment when a shooter paused to reload gave unarmed civilians a chance to tackle them, and end the killing. This is exactly what happened, for example, in the Gabby Giffords case.

To that end, the State has a compelling public interest in regulating the size of such magazines. This interest has to be weighed against the cost and/or inconvenience to legitimate firearms owners of such regulations.

Lets not forget, for a moment, that some level of regulation of the "arms" with which Americans civilians may equip themselves has for a long time been established. As civilians we cannot own cannon that fire explosive shells. We cannot own chemical weapons; nuclear devices; or biological agents. Fully-automatic machine guns are further highly regulated.

I cannot predict how the Court will rule in this matter. But the reality is that there is ample precedent, in both statutory and case law, to allow the Court to hold that California's ban on large capacity magazines is legal.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Well .just like marriage rights should be equal across all states

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No. Doesn't work like that.

Here's the thing about high capacity magazines: they have the potential to turn a mass-shooting event into a massacre. Think Sandy Hook; think Columbine; think Aurora; think Norway. And the thing about mass-shooting events - they are one of those tragedies innocent people have literally no control over.

In most murders, the victim is someone known to the shooter. You've got a spouse with a temper problem. You are buying drugs from a sketchy dude. You hang out with a guy with guns and some anger-management issues. I don't want to say the victim necessarily has control over the situation. But if you were to interview them on the bench outside the Pearly Gates - I'll bet quite a few of them would say: "Yeah, I shoulda seen that one coming.."

Not so with mass-shooting
    victims. They were just ordinary schlubs hoping to catch the hottest Ironman movie. People picking up toilet paper and laundry detergent at Wal-Mart.

So: No. Even though mass-sooting events, statistically at least, make up a small percentage of overall homicides - their emotional, psychological effect on the rest of society is so horrific - it requires special action on the part of Government to try and prevent them from happening. Or - if they do - to give people the best chance of surviving them.

And the price that gun owners - even responsible, law-abiding gun owners - have to pay is minuscule. Pause and reload after every ten or twelve rounds at the range. As opposed to every twenty five or thirty.

Is that really such a big deal? Such a huge loss to your lifestyle, your hobby - that its worth making the next mass-shooting only kill eight or ten people -rather than twenty or thirty? Because there really isn't any practical self-defense, sporting, or hunting reason for the typical civilian to need a thirty-round magazine. Is there?

Thats really what it comes down to. Are you willing to let another thirty to fifty of your fellow citizens die in mass shooting events every year -just so you can have a tiny bit more fun at the range?

It doesn't seem like too much to ask to me.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We have millions of STANDARD capacity magazines over 10 rds. They are not grand fathered in. I have to sell/destroy MY LEGAL property over nothing more than your feelings

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't care.

Really. Not a whit. And its not "my feelings" - its reality. High-capacity magazines enable mass murderers. That guy in Norway - had to order his high capacity magazines from the US, because they were illegal in his own country. Adam Lanza, the guy in Aurora, CO.,etc. etc. - all of them relied on high-capacity magazines to murder dozens on innocent people.

Suck it up.

Laws change. Life changes. All the time. Either deal with it. Or face the reality that anger against guns is building to the point that ten or twenty years from now - they really will come door to door to take every one of your toys away.

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Gun laws need to be federal only no state additions. That will stop the bickering and insure people are legal period not just legal in their state.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Well, after many years of not caring I joined the NRA, just because of this.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So you still don't care about the safety of others?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That simply isn't true ...

You're talking about a specific city ordinance in Los Angeles. And we've already established that you only travel occasionally to Los Angeles. So unless your municipality has passed a similar restriction, you can own large capacity magazines. You cannot manufacture, import, keep for sale, offer or expose for sale, or give or lend any large-capacity magazine, but you can possess one.

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I do, criminals & cops already have these mags, no reason for you to have less to protect your family. if a cop can have it for his PERSONAL protection outside of his WORK, then so should I
    #mylifemattersasmuchastheirs

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it is not the only city, cops are hitting the gun ranges & confiscating the mags
    https://sfgov.legistar.com/Legislat...184&GUID=96BDA922-52FF-4F01-8D07-E70B7E3B712D

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    little by little, city by city.
    no more.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well, now you know.

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

We could just make certain areas "Gun Free" zones. That would stop the shootings...

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

Harry think the elimination of high-capacity mags does "nothing".

Tell me, why aren't there more criminals carrying and using fully-automatic guns and other such items in their acts? You would think that would be the first choice. You would think the guys going on a killing spree in school and whatnot would be packing these every time. I mean they could take out dozens in seconds.

You know damn well that is waaaaayyy too much to ask. Quick one-liners and supposedly-witty memes is about as deep as you're going to get in that conversation.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

full auto is a "novelty", you need to be rich in order to afford shooting full auto. take out dozens in seconds? please, stop watching james bond movies.
    except I already provided the links backing up my claims.

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Because they don't take out dozens in seconds. Instead of taking out ten people, you take out one person, 30 times. Full auto is also not as easy to control as one might think. Your weapon also runs out in about two seconds.