California to teach gay history

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

How is "gay history" different than regular history? lol

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They make sure to point out the people in history who were gay and made some kind of difference. Make sure kids know that gay people have been around forever and have helped shape our world just like straight people have. You read enough about a President being married in history class, you never read about how a mayor was gay. Kind of like Black history month or women's studies. Make sure to point out that other people besides white, straight males have made history.

4. codymac macrumors 6502

It's more.... FABULOUS!
    :)

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

What is Gay History? History, while interesting, has always struck me as unimportant in educating Children for essential workforce skills. Leave history for Colleges or elective courses.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Absolutely not. History is just as essential in building a rational model of the world as math or science is. It just has to be taught properly, without the rote memorization of dates and people. More emphasis on the impact of events in the shaping of nations and civilization.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

People who have made history have just been people and gay or straight have never come into it. What does it matter? A stand alone class in college on "gay studies" I would have no problem with. The requirement in public schools to teach gay history is bit absurd.

Those who are gay and feel as if they've been wronged, I feel for them and effort to make it right, but the level of suffering by gay is nothing compared to what black people or women have endured over the centuries. It bothers me a little when gay suffrage is pitted against something like slavery. Just not the same, IMO.

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That answer is very similar to the posts in the thread about the video apple just did in support of the IT GETS BETTER campaign. Nobody is pitting the gay community against slavery. Nobody is saying lets stop teaching about women's rights and start instead with gay rights. They are just adding it. Why do people always have to make this weird connection?

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the article ...

After passage in the Democratic-controlled Assembly and singing by Gov. Jerry Brown, both of which seem likely, California would become the first state to make curricula include notable gay Americans along with the contributions of women and various ethnic groups.

Shaun Travers, a San Diego activist, told San Diego 6: "It's very important that we represent all of California and that includes the LGBT community. Our people and our history."

But opponents said the move would add non-essential material to already-short instruction time.

Hmmm ... they don't seem to share that same concern when it comes to teaching Creationism in science class. :rolleyes:

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Gay suffrage? Wow i never knew gays were denied the right to vote! :eek:

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

:D

I'm not sure how many gay threads this forum can take in 1 day.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Totally off topic, but I started this thread, so I can!

Did you ever see that Man Show video when the guys set up a table and tried to get women to sign a petition to end women's suffrage? A lot of them did, too!

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Haven't seen it but that hilarious. I find it funny how many people have no idea what suffrage means, most assume it means "suffering". :D

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Because understanding the events of the nightly news as a part of the ongoing process of human civilization unfolding, the result of a complex web of chain reactions spanning millennia, instead of a perpetual, meaningless, stroboscopic spectacle of now, is of no value whatsoever. In fact, wasting time with peripheral awareness only distracts children from their training to serve as maximally efficient labor resources for their forty or fifty useful adult years before we stash them away to wait for death.

Ever stop to think where your values come from, and who benefits from them? That's probably not an essential workforce skill either.

15. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Bravo, good sir/madam. Bravo. You made me laugh. *applause*

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

FABULOUS, yes, but seriously, try BRILLIANT.

Many, many, works of art, of whatever medium, will be lost without "gay history".

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

One has "gay" and the other doesn't? :p

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, an English major. Kudos.

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

How'd you guess?! Is it that obvious?

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

What will be next? Here are some fine suggestions:
    - Gay Arts
    - Gay Phys.Ed.
    - Gay Comp.Sci.

21. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

LOL - well currently in CA it is common place to not learn anything about gay history (Stonewall etc), yet alone mention that someone that does get mentioned (which is very few) was gay. Including LGBT history is not only the right thing to so, one does not learn history when you leave out things, but it has been shown to decrease harassment and bullying of LGBT students. Can you imagine going to a public school and having everything related to your culture/group excluded from the curriculum? What does that teach the students about LGBT people?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen a more freaky Orwellian comment on this forum. Is the only point of education to create little drones for the military-industrial complex?

Unless I'm mistaken, gay people can be black, they can also be women, they can also have been slaves. I'm sure there were plenty of gay Chinese who suffered under the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 Gosh! There might even have been gay slave owners! Or even gay industrialists!

Why is it so wrong to bring the subject up? The entire point of the law is to include it in the relevant subject matter, not to make it an independent class.

You've always been reasonably level headed about such issues, so I can only assume that you were in a hurry and didn't read the article. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

24. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Honestly, there isn't enough time, we are rushing through WWII to know it before the CST. I also don't remember people pushing creationism in California

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What's CST? I honestly have no idea. Actually, the entire sentence is confusing, could you clarify?