California: unfiltered

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Bill seeks filtered cigarette ban to reduce litter
    The problem is, there are scores of Native American smokeshops where a smoker might still be able to get filter-tipped cigarettes. Could the Ag border stations be expanded to prevent all illegal cigarettes from ever entering the state?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not a smoker, but if you buy a non-filtered cigarette, do you smoke the entire thing? Do you end up needing an alligator clip or something to hold the tiny little end of it as it burns down? Seems like there might still end up being something that needs to be thrown away in the end after all.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

The main problem with cigarette butts is that they're not biodegradable. The filter is made of very finely spun plastic fibers.

Could they be replaced with something biodegradable? To me, that would solve the problem.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This is a better solution than an outright ban.

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Remember, filters are there to catch the bad stuff, they become saturated with it. Part of the problem is animals eating them, so unless you design a filter that disintegrates almost immediately, just making them biodegradable will not fix the problem.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I was thinking that they should use something edible. Then the smoker could just eat the filter and keep "smoking" for the next hour.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Do animals actually frequently eat butts/filters? I didn't know that was an issue.

I know birds will use them to make nests (all those fuzzy fibers), and the nicotine actually keeps parasites/mites away.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...igarette-butts-in-nests-deter-bird-parasites/

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Best idea ever.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Hemp.

10. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

This is just the anti-smoking groups trying to make it more difficult for the smokers.

Here is an idea, go after the people that are littering. Almost everyday I see someone throwing a cigarette-butt out the window when I am driving. I also like the idea of making the filters biodegradable.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    As a begrudging smoker who tries not to throw his butts out the window or on the sidewalk, I think that's the way it should be done, too. People are gonna do it regardless, so instead of banning them outright, why not make it so they're not quite so (potentially) destructive to the environment.

...or maybe Jnpy's suggestion to make them edible would work. But I dunno. I think that'd taste really, really bad.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As long as the filter is made up of more spun nicotine fibers, so they can swallow more of their addiction along with the filter saturated carcinogens.

13. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

You want to make the filters out of hemp? Great idea, except then we have a problem with the stoners throwing the tobacco out... :D

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

As opposed to what a cigarette tastes like now?

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    As a begrudging smoker, I have to say that sometimes a cigarette tastes really damn good.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Why not just ticket people for littering?

In any case, if you want to see what damage the crude in a few cigarette filters can do, put a few in water and then use that water on a plant (hint: don't this this on a plant that you like).

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It is difficult to catch them all, because it's not like they do it right in front of a cop. When smoking in public was more prevalent, many shops, restaurants, and places of business in general had receptacles for cigarette butts right beside the trashcans. They should have been made biodegradable years ago. The same goes for things like shopping bags and plastic wrap, although that has started to happen in recent years.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. Does anyone really expect in this era when localities are strapped for cash that they have the luxury of devoting budget to catch people illegally disposing the cigarette butts?

19. lostngone, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

So we should make it more difficult for everyone else because the police won't or can't do their jobs? In some places it is a $2000 fine for littering.

We had biodegradable shopping bags for decades Until they complained we were killing to many trees and we switched to plastic.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

A lot of the fines are high enough that I'm somewhat surprised they aren't doing this already for fundraising purposes.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You are correct regarding the fines. When it comes to enforcement, littering is not something where the police are likely to show up and investigate. Catching someone littering under most circumstances relies on the cop being within visible range at the time a person discards their trash. I wasn't actually arguing that this was the best possible way to address it, just that it's not possible to staff in a way that catches the majority of those who litter. The other comment was to point out that there used to public places to properly extinguish and dispose of cigarette butts.

I meant in terms of plastic ones. Reusable bags are really ideal though.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You keep surprising me.

I didn't have you pegged as one who supported bigger government ... especially one funded by heavy-handed law enforcement.

23. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

That's not how it works.

Anyways, an issue with hemp is that you can't grow it in the States as far as I know.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's biodegradable, so I answered the current question.

One step at a time. ;)

"Paranoia runs deep, into your life it will creep." ;)

Hemp has been used for many things over the centuries, but all that matter not if people can light-up and drop out.

Nose to the grindstone kiddies.

25. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

http://gizmodo.com/why-you-cant-get-stoned-from-smoking-hemp-514157145