Call display iphone 4s "known" bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antidoll, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

*Sorry I mean Caller ID*

so for some reason when someone calls me, it doesn't show the name, only the number (if I don't have them in my contacts, of course)

I called Rogers and the guy told me that it is a "known" bug in iPhone 4S and that it should be fixed by apple in the next update....

is this true? anyone can confirm this?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've never had a cell phone that shows name in caller ID. iPhone, Blackberry, Razr, none of them.

3. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

you have to have that feature for the name to display... used to do it with my previous Blackberry..

:)

4. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

I use to have the Name Display feature on my FIDO iPhone 3G. Cannot get it with the carrier iam with now :(

5. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

The names show on my phone when I get a call. Of course the name is in my contacts first but it does show. Only calls that are not in my contacts show a number only.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

7. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

How do you get the name of the caller? I've always just had number only for my caller id. Is there some setting you have to have AT&T activate or something?

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Same here. Been this way since I have had a mobile phone. If the number is not in your contacts, it only shows as the number. If it is, it shows the name.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

AFAIK, no US carrier supports by-name caller ID.

11. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Edit: nvm

12. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

I guess it's possible this guy can do it

http://mgalligan.com/post/3166141503/iphone-full-caller-id

I'm on the phone with AT&T now and the guy says he can do it so Im waiting for them right now. I'll report back what happens.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

14. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I honestly don't know if I want this... A lot of times I get calls from numbers I don't know, but I answer them based on familiar area code, etc. I'd at least like to be able to see the number.

15. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

As of now I'm getting a run around with AT&T. One guy said yes they can do it,then he said its visual voice mail and that I would loose my unlimited data to get that. I told him he was full of ***** because that's not what visual voicemail is so now there having me on the phone with apple.

16. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I'll add for mine, I was referring to those in my contacts, I don't care who they are, if they're not, because I won't answer it, anyway.

17. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

just to clarify this feature will still SHOW the 'unknown' number but will also show the name that's on the account for that #

for example if a John Smith is calling me and I don't have John Smith in my contacts it will show as :

John Smith
    +1514-888-2323

18. hibanzai macrumors member

Just called my carrier, Fido, and they told me it's a known issue with the 4s, and that it's a phone issue not a carrier issue.

Think it's BS to be honest, as I have the service, used to get it on my older phones. Agent claimed his android doesn't show it either, and another customer called a week ago to inquire about the lack of names in his caller ID.