Call for advice: Books and other resources for teaching kids the basics?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RickSchmelz, Jul 10, 2009.

1. RickSchmelz macrumors newbie

First off, I'd like to thank all of the folks here on the forums for the scads of great information and advice I've found here over the years. And now I'm going to see if I can impose on you all again :)

Sorry if I've overlooked a recent thread on here asking the same questions, most of what I found when searching was a little outdated.

I work at a high school as the Tech Guy. I'm not a certified teacher, but part of what I do is instructional. We don't have a Video Production class, but I'm planning to start an extra-curricular activity.

I'm a decent amateur videographer, but I know for certain that I don't know enough to teach the kids the proper way to do everything, nor can I answer all of the inevitable "Why do it that way?" questions.

My own research into books and other resources that teach good shooting and production techniques has been kind of scattershot - it's hard to rate a book's actual usefulness based on Amazon descriptions and reviews.

So, the core question - do any of you have recommendations on books/sites that you found were really helpful in learning the arts of shooting and editing?

Many thanks in advance.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

For editing: Walter Murch's "In The Blink Of An Eye"
    For shooting shortcuts/tips/tricks: Stu Maschwitz "DV Rebels Guide"
    I haven't read anything good that comes to mind about basic shooting techniques... I'm sure one of the other regulars will chime in with something good...

3. RickSchmelz thread starter macrumors newbie