Call it an (American) comeback?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Jul 16, 2012.

1. eric/, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

eric/ Guest

eric/

Link

I thought this was a pretty good article overall.

I think that our politics are really what's got us messed up right now. We're pretty divided on a variety of issues, and I personally side with the Democrats, but there has to be balance too.

My favorite idea is infrastructure spending. That, and I think this country needs more commuter trains between cities. For example, in Ohio there should definitely be a Cincinnati-Columbus-Cleveland train that is accessible and affordable, to give people an alternative to flying and driving, while constructing new tracks and putting more people to work in all fields.

I think our greatest strength is indeed our intellectual strength. The US is both creative and talented, but that creativity and talent has to be utilized. Political bickering hampers this.

Thoughts?

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

When I read the title, i thought it was a retaliation thread based on your responses in the other thread :D

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Ha. Nope. I don't hold grudges or anything. I argue, then leave it in that thread.

I hope this optimistic news will be a good change of pace for PRSI.

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

We're the best at screwing things up, using ingenuity and a little bit of work to bend/break/circumvent/make up rules, lead to tremendous growth, and then just have it all come crashing down in 10-30 years like a house of cards.

It's mostly called capitalism (though not true capitalism) and the good ol' American spirit!

:p

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't necessarily agree with this. Entitlement programs may require adjusting formulas and such, but I don't believe the only solution involves cuts.

I'm also curious why the writer leaves the military out of the discussion. That, IMO, is the first place I'd seek cuts.

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well with the wars winding down, and the military in the spotlight I'd say that cuts are already happening there and will continue to happy as we wind down.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You might be right, but I was only able to get this far
    ... a left-wing president who has regulated to death a private sector he neither likes nor understands ...​

That is just plain nonsense. "Regulated to death"? Seems to me someone flung up a stat non to long ago that indicated exactly the opposite. But, I guess, lying about Obama has just become de rigueur.

8. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well it depends. I think we have far too many regulations in some sectors, and not enough in others.

A non-traditional example would be the recent Apple vs Samsung spat. Due to patent and copyright regulations, millions of dollars that otherwise would have been spent by the company or invested in some manner, are being used to feed off parasitic lawyers.

Give the rest of the article a chance.

Especially since the next line is:

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Care to name a few?

10. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Just did. Patents and copyrights is a huge one.

11. citizenzen, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

citizenzen macrumors 65816

You disagree with the length of time granted?

Or the regulation overall?

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

I looked back at this thread/article and it really struck me at how poor the article was for The Economists' standards. Oh well, everyone needs a mulligan now and then.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This thread insulted Obama, it must be punished.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please. I've insulted Obama in several threads I've started. Try some honest debate, why don't you?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think they are just using the right wing terms to describe Obama and the left wing terms to describe Romney.

16. Happybunny, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

From the article a point which caught my eye.
    America’s economy is certainly in a tender state. But the pessimism of the presidential slanging-match misses something vital. Led by its inventive private sector, the economy is remaking itself (see article). Old weaknesses are being remedied and new strengths discovered, with an agility that has much to teach stagnant Europe and dirigiste Asia.

This is certainly true about Europe.
    But of course European Politicians have to weigh the social costs far more, than any American President would ever have to do. It's one of the main reasons that decisions are made at a slower pace here in Europe.

So far the record of the private sector delivering real improvements in Europe has been patchy at best. Plus many of the major political parties have strong ties to the unions.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's a rhetorical trick that presents the arguments of both sides as a mirror. This issue of The Economist is definitely worth the newsstand price.

Generally, I agree. A lot of sound and fury has been made of coming regulations from the administration that haven't really come or have been so mild, with built-in exemptions, that it's really more politics than reality.

Industry acts terrified in the face of regulation even while armies of lawyers are making sure that the laws barely affect them. See the Consumer Protection Bureau.

I tend to think that copyrights are less of a mess than patents. While copyrights are a huge problem with media (and I think the DMCA is a terrible piece of legislation), it's the patent system which has created an entire industry designed to grind innovation to a halt.

Richard Posner, a federal court judge, has some interesting things to say about this.