Call me crazy, but I just spent 3k on a MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by red321red321, Jun 3, 2013.

1. red321red321 macrumors regular

2.7 GHz processor
    16GB RAM
    512GB hard drive

Don't want to wait for Haswell, the 50% battery life improvement is overrated since CPU these days is only a fraction of the total power draw (others are display, hard drive, graphics, wireless, etc).

I suppose it's also possible that Apple won't even update the 15" rMBP for some time. Intel's new chips seem to always have supply problems, so people waiting might have to wait longer than expected.

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

If you do see changes you will have 14 days to return so it's all good!

3. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

oh, stop trying to kid yourself, you should've waited

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yep, I have to agree.

5. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Well, you'll know on Monday whether or not to return it for what's new.

6. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

its 300 dollars more to jump from 256GB to 512GB SSD, you found that worth it?>

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Whatever lets you sleep at night, wwdc is only 1 week away

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It's one thing needing a laptop now, but it sounds like you just didn't want to wait. Since the refresh is 6 dys away, that seems more silly than purposeful.

9. red321red321 thread starter macrumors regular

With all due respect, absolutely not, Mr. Norris. But, it seems difficult or impossible to upgrade the Pro now and so I felt that I had little or no choice. I hate running out of hard disk space and need to run both Mac OS X and Win 7.

10. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

yes i found it hard to sleep since i camped here all day long, damn Apple just release the specs already.

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Not to mention that the model you've just bought will be cheaper after the introduction of the new one, if there is one.

12. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

well he can always return it since its still under the 14-day return window...
    i don't see a problem here? :confused:

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Buying something, then returning it within two weeks just to buy the same thing again for $150 less doesn't seem too convenient to me.

14. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

who says its gonanbe 150 less LOL

15. devilcm3, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

16. Giuly, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, give me your estimate for June 18th on a Early-2013 2.7GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

17. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

same price? :confused:

i don't think they would actually make another price drop since they just did a few months ago?

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is a good choice. I don't see OWCs options for the rmbp becoming that cheap. I don't bother with the fastest notebook cpus. Notebooks often throttle. I don't see a lot of difference in sustained performance there. The 2.3 and 2.6 seem to be the same chip clocked out. I'm not sure about the 2.7, but the difference between those 3 seems trivial overall. I cannot think of many tasks where one would choke and another would be suitable.

19. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

No, it will go down in price, because if they release updated 15", how are they going to sell the old one and the new one for the same price? They wont lol.

20. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

Just enjoy it!

Don't pay attention OP, you bought an amazing Mac, even if it gets updated one week from now, you'll still have an amazing Mac.

True you can return it next week, or not. If you do return it to order something else, say a new rMBP. How long will you have to wait to get it?

Anyway, if you're happy with your purchase, enjoy!:)

21. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Not crazy. If you need it now, you buy it now. If you see no reason to wait, then buy it now. Shouldn't care what a bunch of anonymous Internet peeps think about your decision. If you're happy with it, then to hell with all of us.

22. red321red321 thread starter macrumors regular

Your logic is strong. Honestly, I just use this computer to surf the net, email, Microsoft Office stuff, etc. I got the Retina and all those high end specs cause I just want things to be fast, quiet (ie, no fan blowing all the time), and with a nice sharp display.

23. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i stopped believing processor clockspeed.
    sure you can get more 0.4ghz but the performance is almost negligible in daily tasks, better spend those on increasing the RAM

24. ae1440 macrumors newbie

ae1440

also recent new purchase

my old macbook died hard on me suddenly and i had to buy a new one two weeks ago so yes im out of the window already, but i can say i didnt buy into the hype of retina i stuck with my trusty 15 anti glare with top of the line specs, i do plan on going 16 gbs ram and a 500gbish SSD later which i wouldnt be able to do with a retina so for me it was a easy choice!

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wasn't just referring to daily tasks. I was referring to actual performance differences between the two specs where they're both pushed as hard as possible. Outside of benchmarks, the differences rarely add up. Restricting the discussion to notebooks only, your real gains are moving from dual to quad core. Beyond that performance gains tend to be outpaced by price. On the 2.3 vs 2.6, intel lists the same recommended customer pricing on both.