Call of Duty 2 glitchy on 2013 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StephenCampbell, Oct 20, 2014.

1. StephenCampbell, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I popped in Call of Duty 2 today for the first time in a few years, having never played it before on my 2013 iMac. While configuring the settings in the game menu the mouse would freeze for a few seconds, and then respond again to my movement, then freeze again, etc. Once in the single player game, the same thing happened. The game would freeze for a few seconds at a time on a very regular basis.

What could be causing this?

Edit: I just noticed that the Call of Duty 2 on the App Store is 1.3.1, and I have version 1.3, which is the latest that the game can be updated to when installed from the disc. Am I to assume that in order to work properly I need to buy the App again from Apple? This is looking very, very crooked.

2. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

If I recall correctly, the 1.3.1 version only fixed some minor problem specific to the download version of the game. You don't need that patch and it wouldn't help with your problem anyway.

I do own the download version and it shows the same problems you are experiencing. I never found a fix, but according to a forum post I found somewhere (I'll see if I can find it again, but that might take a while…), this allegedly happens when you run the game from a fast drive like an SSD. If I recall correctly, the guy from that post "fixed" the problem by running the game from an SD card.

EDIT: That went faster than I expected. Here's the mentioned forum post (and the one after that)