Call of Duty is just getting scary at this point.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GKDAIR, May 3, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

Black Ops 2 had 3 times in the amount of preorders Black Ops had, in one day.

This series is just getting scary at this point. I won't lie, I like Call of Duty. But Black Ops 2...these sales are just going to astronomically high.

No doubt this will beat MW3 easily. Did you know (ive done the math) each Call of Duty game has done better then the last one by about 33%?

MW3 did about 55-60% better than MW2 did. and I expect no less from Blops 2.

Holy crap.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

AKAIK you can't play COD on a mac, so there may not be as many gamers here in a mac forum. :) But COD is a great game.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What is the scary part? I feel like I really missed out by not owning an XBOX until 2011.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Black Ops blows...just sayin'

Horses? *****?!

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

6. quagmire, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

MW3 is my last COD. I may rent more COD's, but I am pretty much done with COD. Too many unskilled, everyone for themselves, noobs( no comms, spawn kill, spawn camp, overpowered weapons, people reliance on XM25, 203's RPG's, SMAW's, etc to get kills).

Not to mention BS like sniper shots to the head and chest being hit markers.....

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I get more hit markers with the barrett than I do with the MSR. That's BS as the barrett is the most power sniper in the world.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Elder Scrolls, FTW.

10. nonameowns macrumors regular

great for console pre-pube kid gamers

imo, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will blow blackops out of the water :cool:

11. Krafty, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Not sure about this one. May just stick to Halo 4 (only for the story, MP sounds like its going to be ruined) and Bioshock Infinite this year. MW3 just seemed like an upgraded MW2 (MW2.5, if you will). I've actually quite playing MW3 for Gotham City Imposters.

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Call of Duty stopped being a good series after the first Modern Warfare.

The engine is 6 or 7 years old. It's just recycled over and over again. The game dynamics have not really changed since MW1. It's like painting over a rotting, decaying fence over and over despite the fact that it's the same old, ******, decrepit fence.

But keeping it this way means they can crank out a new game every single year, and make billions. It has nothing to do with the quality of the content or material and everything to do with how efficiently they can reach our sales figures.

It's too bad, really. The franchise has enough clout and momentum (and, mind you, money and talent) to really produce outstanding games that push the limit of what we expect from technology. But the decision-makers (ie. the publishing company executives) are more interested in dollars and cents than producing something that is truly different and deserving of accolades.

Either way, this is why I stopped playing CoD after MW2 (which was an enormous disappointment) and switched to the Battlefield series. DICE, despite being owned by EA, manages to churn out consistent content that is always new, fresh, pushing the limits of their game engines and coming up with new ways of entertaining their fans. The ethos of the games are entirely different as well; the Battlefield series games encourage strategy, teamwork, and multi-faceted gameplay involving vehicles & enormous maps that provide endless variety.

Playing Call of Duty, on the other hand, is a bit like being placed in one of those jumping gyms you find at community picnics with about 20 screaming kids.

13. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

SMAW? Yes. RPGS? No. XM25? Eh, not much. But I agree with you somewhat, more so in sentiment. As the franchise gets bigger, and attracts more players, the quality of said players goes down. There's much more raging 12 year olds on there now than ever before. My career KD has also skyrocketed as a result -- on BLOP I had a 3.2 overall. I'm by no means a pro gamer; I'm about as casual as it comes. In regards to overpowered weapons... I think BLOPS and MW3 did a pretty decent job at toning this down. MW2 was a ****-show in terms of overpowered everything, BLOPS made almost everything super ******, and MW3 is kind of bring it all back full circle. You can use most weapons effectively in MW3; besides maybe the MP7 I can't really say there's one gun that stands head and shoulders above the rest.

There are quite a few unskilled people though. Noobs? Well, you have to start somewhere. I think all the hate though is a product of people playing team-less or friend-less; without that you'll just be all alone with little to no strategy involved. Playing with friends can be great; out of chaos comes order and strategy (but nowhere near BF, of course).

Also, to the prepubescent comment; I'm 22 and in graduate school -- I'm pretty sure I hit puberty already.

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

15. jj48 macrumors regular

I actually heard that after strong early sales figures MW3 has in fact lagged behind what black ops achieved. Perhaps my source is lousy, can't remember where I read it.

16. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's not that the weapons are commonly used. I only have seen the XM25 a little bit. But, I am talking about weapons that you just aim in a general direction of the enemy and it will kill him if he is close enough. That is the XM25, RPG, SMAW, etc. Granted there are times to use it, but these idiots run around with it exclusively out all the time.

For instance playing TDM on Resistance, I was sniping when this player start using the XM25 trying to kill me. It took him over something like 10-20 shots to do so. I couldn't snipe him due to all the smoke blocking my view, but you know you suck if you can't kill a sitting target( wasn't moving at all).

The noobs comment was toward the people who use explosive type weapons, spawn kill, and spawn camp. I view those people as unskilled and noobs. Call me old school or believing in a dying sense of fairness and sportsmanship. You should be able to get out of your spawn without being killed almost instantly.

I never said that comment. Were you talking to someone else?

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

MW2 was my last

I only like the InfinityWard ones

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

MW2 was InfinityWard. And I loved MW2 in terms of campaign. MW3's campaign lacked that kick MW2 had in its campaign. Maybe it was the soundtrack..... :p :cool:

And for the multiplayer, Sledgehammer messed up MW3's big time.... People blame IW for it, but Sledgehammer did the MP. And there needs to be a way to set your map preference. I only like Mission and Resistance( good sniping maps). I tolerate Fallen, Lockdown and interchange. I hate Village. It is way too big. I also hate Hardhat and Dome. They have people camping everywhere.

And I agree. Besides WaW, I never liked Treyarch releases.

19. ace198 macrumors regular

COD 2 was the last one I really enjoyed. Still play it online today.

20. GKDAIR thread starter macrumors regular

Checking back on this topic.

Whats scary is I can honestly see Call of Duty taking over video games. Like the series is becoming so big I think actual sports will be broadcast on networks like ESPN and etc. in the future over Call of Duty matches. This game is HUGE and an insane amount of people play it.

To the comment reguarding slow sales. It is true that MW3 is not doing as well as Black Ops did this time in 2011, but its only a 4.3% difference. I also think this has to do with the fact that Call of Duty is reaching a critical peak of players, it gains more and more, but its gaining them at a slower rate. Heck blops still has 300k players on average playing it, while MW3 has around the same amount.

----------

Also,

Call of Duty: Elite has sold at least 6 million subscriptions (this was the last figure I checked, not sure when the date was) which is literally everybody who bought the game on opening day.

So yeah, Call of Duty is not slowing down anytime soon.

21. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I'll leave the COD games alone after I've got to prestige, then is Battlefield 3 for me Its untouchable in many ways compared to MW3.

22. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I play Black Ops for Zombie mode, so I was happy to see Black Ops 2 will continue the trend.

However, I'm still waiting for Treyarch to just spin off Nazi Zombies into its own game. I'm not dropping $60 on CoD for a (albeit extremely well-crafted) minigame. But I'd drop $60 for a complete Nazi Zombie game. :D

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

24. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

**** Yeah!!!!:D

25. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

COD4:MW was the last decent game of the COD series. The rest are just poor. MW3 is the last one I'll ever get, and I only got that because I was curious on how the far-fetched and flawed plot was going to end.