Call quality om Sprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonemaster5S, May 6, 2013.

1. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Hey guys I'm thinking about switching to Sprint from AT&T and am curious about the call quality. Woud it be just as good as before or worse? If it helps it would be an iPhone 5 on their network. Thanks!

2. llfloyd79 macrumors regular

llfloyd79

I have the 5 on sprint and I have no issues in my area when it comes to call quality. I'm in Virginia Beach, VA. The data is good too since we have LTE now. Only thing is you will not be able to surf the web and talk at same time on Sprint network. I think you can while on wifi though.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint has the best call quality. It goes out over 1xRT (2G) and is unaffected by 3G or 4G data speeds.

The call quality is one of the very few things Sprint has going for it right now other than unlimited data plans. And it's the only thing that has kept me on Sprint since 1999. Right now Sprint is undergoing a massive 4G rollout across the country. LTE is not available everywhere so if you are used to having LTE it's possible that you may be in an area that Sprint does not have it in and will be on 3G speeds until Sprint gets it there. You may or may not have to wait a while, depending on your area.

My area is not scheduled to even have it turned on, let alone covered, until about June.

If you can handle the waiting and are ok with unlimited data through a straw at the moment (3G speeds are suffering because of the network upgrades) then the wait will be worth it. But a lot of Sprint customers who have been promised 4G since 2010 have had it and are leaving.

Just something to think about before you come over.

Oh, and DO NOT believe a word said to you by any Sprint rep. Customer service, despite what Sprint says is very bad. You will be lied to in order to get you to sign a contract. The online/call staff are not in sync with in store personnell so anything you are told by either group can and often will be ignored by the other group. So, don't do anything based on what Sprint has TOLD you. Do your own research. An excellent place to start is s4gru.com which is a site that tracks the Network Vision rollout. You can see which markets have it at which buildout and that info is far more accurate than Sprint's maps. Another good place is sprintusers.com.

You may also want to go over to Sprints community forums and take a look in there. You'll have to wade through the sea of very unhappy Sprint users, but there are facts buried in there.

Sprint is a GREAT network as long as you realize that you have to do all your own research and deal with your own issues. Use Sprint simply as the carrier giving you access. If you keep customer service involved as little as possible you'll be ok.

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Check out T-Mobile's HD voice.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you take HD voice out of the equation, then Sprint still has the best call quality between all the carriers.

But guess what? Sprint is ALSO one of the few carriers that has HD voice for the iPhone.

6. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Sprint is second behind T-Mobile in terms of call quality. But they do NOT support HD voice on the iphone 5. Dunno where you got that. Sprint only supports HD voice on some of its android handsets. Right now ONLY T-Mobile supports HD voice on the iphone.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/sprint-confirms-hd-voice-incompatible-with-iphone-5/

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're right (about HD Voice). I think where I got that from was the marketing drivel that Sprint was pushing about the iPhone 5. Somewhere in there HD Voice was mentioned.

As to call quality I still hold to my opinion about Sprint being best. But that's just my opinion.

8. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Sprint call quality is fantastic, much better than AT&T. On top of that the data and voice coverage are much better as well, but that really depends on the area plus I get LTE almost everywhere I go now can't beat the unlimited data either.

9. coolio93 macrumors 6502

I had sprint for about 5 months earlier this year and it is true that the call quality on the iPhone 5 was awesome.

However, I experienced HD voice for the first time on T-Mobile and it is another beast. Sound quality noticeably better and it sounds like the person is in the same room as you. I suggest you all to try it out if you haven't and you will know what I am rambling about.

On Sprint the EVO 4G LTE, S3 and a few other android phones have it. On T-Mobile its the iPhone 5, S3, S4 and some other phones but those are the only ones off the top of my head.

When you make a call, both ppl have to be using a HD voice compatible phone.

10. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Voice quality might be good but you'll also have to deal with a lot of dropped calls from what I've read. I haven't had Sprint for six years but I know dropped calls were a big problem even back then.