CALL quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Traderalways, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Traderalways macrumors member

On the iPhone 5S??? Is it better than the 5?? Or the same??

2. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Not nearly as good as my 5 was! Every 5s that I tried on at&t has that fuzz in the background and it's pretty annoying.

3. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

Funny... I have the 5 now on Verizon in manhattan and think the call quality was huge step down from my 4s... Wondering if I should take a chance on the 5s

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Call quality is dependent a huge deal on the carrier you're with, and the market you're in. Verizon in NYC? Yeah, good luck getting decent call quality.

The phone, however, is VERY capable of high quality audio. Make a FaceTime audio call, and you'll hear the difference.

5. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

Since when does Verizon have bad call quality in NYC??

6. Akack macrumors 6502a

Had the 5 and now the 5s, both on tmobile and call quality was very clear on both.

7. winterny macrumors 6502

The way Verizon's compression algorithm works is dynamic based on load. In areas that have very high congestion (frequent in NYC on both ATT and Verizon), the amount allocated to each voice call will be much less than somewhere with no congestion at all.

Put your VZ phone on 3G-only, and do a speed test. If you are getting very slow (for evdo) speeds, the sound quality is going to suffer as well.

Likely the audio quality is not stunning on VZ in NYC.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Since about the mid to late 2000s, when they started forcing the vocoder bitrate down to accommodate higher call volume and data usage. I can always tell who's on a CDMA phone by the talking-with-marbles-in-their-mouth way that the audio sounds.

9. Traderalways thread starter macrumors member

Lol... All my other phones seemed clear.... Do u live in NYC?? Which service do u use??

10. richard371 macrumors 68000

I live in SF and find the call quality better on the 5S then the 5. No hissing and it just sounds clearer. Im on ATT.

11. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

No hissing at all while on a call?

Weird, I tried more then a few here in NY on at&t and all have the hiss. Wondering if it's the phone hardware or the carrier?

12. richard371 macrumors 68000

None but I did have it time to time with previous phones. It will be interesting to see if it is based on location. Maybe some areas are using the HD voice?

13. wxman2003 Suspended

Verizon doesnt use 3G for voice, it still uses 1x. I switch to 3G, and data is terribly slow, but voice is still very good. LTE at home give me a signal strength of -110 dBm, 3G around -95dBm and voice around -85 dBM.

14. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

They degrade your quality depending on how many people are using the network. That's why some people say Verizon LTE in a populated city is like Verizon 3G in the country - in terms of speed. And same goes for audio, but instead of speed it is audio quality

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Never noticed a difference between the 5 and 5s.

16. eizen macrumors newbie

4S Verizon to T-Mobile 5S

The sound on the T-Mobile phone was better.

17. gopnick macrumors regular

Just moved from AT&T 5 to AT&T 5S in an urban, LTE drenched market. Data speeds are noticeably faster; voice sounds exactly the same. My 5S is actually an unlocked VZW phone.