Call Waiting, & Conference Calling, a reason to choose AT&T over the others

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Feb 14, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This is a major flaw with CDMA based networks, which is why VoLTE couldn't come soon enough! Here is the issue:

On AT&T, a call comes in while you're on another call, you can easily swap back and forth between calls, and hang up on another. You can accept as many calls as you want as the iPhone always keeps one "line" available. If you ignore the incoming call, the network automatically sends them to voicemail right away. The ability to hang up on one call and go back to the other is often overlooked, as well as the ability to switch back and forth between calls On AT&T, the phone also provides you with the option to End + Answer, which is a function I use, but many do not see the need for.

On Verizon (and maybe Sprint, but I have only used Verizon), a call comes in on another call, you hear one tone. Your options are Answer, Answer + Merge, or End (both calls). You answer, but when you hang up, both calls hang up! This is a huge major flaw. THEORETICALLY, it is supposed to ring again, you pick up and then it connects you to the other person....This has never worked.

Another flaw in CDMA is the adding calls ability. When I added a call on my VZW iPhone 4, it connected fine, but the ability to swap back and forth, for some reason was not available. The button was GREYED OUT! You had to hang up on the second call to go back to the first...and even then, it wouldn't even go back to the first, you just hung up on them both. To the client/customer/other party, it seems like you just hung up on them.

Another issue would be in billing, because the other person hung up, the phone still seems to register it as both calls being connected on CDMA, thereby taking away double the minutes. Whereas on AT&T, the other call promptly disappears from the screen when they hang up, freeing that slot, as well as not counting for double the minutes.

Other issues I have with the VZW iPhone: The counter on GSM iPhones (AT&T), will not start counting to 0:00-0:01 etc until the call has connected whereas on CDMA, it starts counting right away (does this mean I am being billed while its ringing, instead of when the call started?).

If someone can shed some light on the situation, it'll help me better understand Verizon/Sprint iPhones better, and I can instruct people how to use their phone properly. I only have true real experience with the AT&T iPhone.

2. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It has been something that's annoyed the hell out of me since I went to VZW. what I've found is that holding the volume down button cancels the incoming call and when your finished with that on to hit "swap". Even though ere is no visual sign that the call has indeed swapped from one to the other. It has. Annoying and I hope LTE isn't this way. Can't tell you how many times I've hung up on a customer or other party because of this.

3. scaredpoet, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There's also a limitation on conference calling on CDMA networks as opposed to GSM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4515

On AT&T you can conference up to 5 other people. On verizon and Sprint, only 2.

I also hate to break it to you, but these are legacy switch-level limitations, not a problem with the air interface. VoLTE isn't going to solve this problem for the CDMA legacy carriers. I know that on the Verizon side at least, there are still core pieces of thei network that are vestiges of the old landline systems, and some of the really low level software is still written in COBOL. They will have to spend lots of cash to gut their network to gain these features, and I bet Verizon for one doesn't think enough people really care enough to make it worth it to them.

Simply put: the legacy CDMA carriers modeled their voice networks off the old POTS networks, with very crude kludges to make features possible. CDMA could be a lot more advanced if thats what a carrier wanted, but it can also be set up to be dumb as dirt to be compatible with old analog cellular networks. The analog cell networks are dead, but that doesn't mean the cell carriers can't still be lazy about it.

4. RushTheBus macrumors newbie

Sure, call waiting and conference calling are swell...when all circuits aren't busy or when you have full bars but can't make outgoing calls or incoming calls go straight to voice mail.

5. rhl macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

yeah but what about all my dropped calls and lost text messages