Called 911 & got busy signal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Jul 20, 2015.

1. moonman239, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

moonman239 macrumors 68000

I saw a fire on the side of the highway. In fact, it was pretty close to my car. I called 911, and got a busy signal. Fortunately, I was in my home city and was able to contact the local police department's emergency dispatch center via a 10-digit number they published on their Website.

I do live in a highly-populated, multi-county area where all highway calls go to a central station, so I can't exactly blame the dispatch center staff.

Edit: Although, I would have appreciated a note that could tell me if someone had already called in the incident.

2. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

This sounds more like a technical issue to me, and not a PRSI one. Maybe you could ask the mods to move the thread to a different forum?

3. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

4. samiwas macrumors 68000

Yeah, He should have been armed...with a fire extinguisher, I guess.

5. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I may never need a fire extinguisher, but I love having one!

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Now I dialed 911 a long time ago
    Don't you see how late they're reactin'
    They only come and they come when they wanna
    So get the morgue embalm the goner
    They don't care 'cause they stay paid anyway
    They teach ya like an ace they can't be betrayed
    So get up get, get get down
    911 is a joke in yo town

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What kind of note are you talking about? Always call, don't assume someone already did.

8. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

I mean a notification - say, on my phone - that says something like "We are aware that there is a fire at location X. A Fire Dept. dispatcher has been notified." That way, I would not have had reason to worry about talking to emergency services unless I experienced or witnessed a new development (say, a driver left stranded in a vehicle that is now on fire)

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How would they know why or what you're calling about. What if someone called in the fire but you were calling in an injury?

10. samiwas macrumors 68000

I assume he meant notifications for events. But then...how many events do you want to be notified about? Your phone could be going off all day with 911 alerts.

I'm going to assume you don't carry one with you all the time. I like having one in my home as well. In fact, I think we have two!

11. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Then I'd have reason to worry.
    Besides, why have 20+ people call in an incident when you can send a location-based notification that basically tells them they don't need to call it in? That would free up call lines and operators. So, the guy who got into an unrelated car crash and needs EMS immediately might not need to wait for the call volume to go down.

I actually crunched the numbers. At the center where my 911 call presumably went, 1-2 hundred people answer hundreds of 911 calls in a single day. Then again, I think a lot of those calls come from off the highway - a lot of places here in my state don't have the right equipment for 911 calls from cell phones, so the highway patrol answers the calls.

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Let's say you are downtown in an office tower or an apartment, how would location based work? One floor you have a pregnant women going in labour and one floor a domestic argument and the steet below you have an accident.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The more witnesses to an incident, the better too.

14. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I was t-boned a few months ago by an elderly lady who ran a stop sign. I called the police so she would get a ticket (not to be mean, but blame needed to be placed so she would fix my car and my rates wouldn't skyrocket). I called 911 and it rang for 30 seconds. I hung up and called back and got someone within 10 seconds.

That situation wasn't urgent, but it didn't inspire confidence for when there really is an emergency and seconds matter.

15. moonman239, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015

moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Simple. Different alerts for different events, or an alert like this: "We have been made aware of the following incidents in the 1234 Dover Ave. vicinity: 1) A healthy pregnant woman in room 123A 2) a minor domestic argument in 234B, and 3) a major accident on the street. Unless you witness something else, or you witness things getting worse (e.g, you hear glass shattering, and it sounds like it's coming from 123A) please do not call 911"

@Jessica Lares Witnesses to a crime could always talk to a detective after the fact.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Post 6 is better because it's more obscure. ;)

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Get off my lawn you young whipper snapper. :p

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Absolutely no way I'm going through alerts if I'm dial 911 and someone is in a life and death situation.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Hey I was in High school when this albun was released so yea you're old school ;)

20. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

That sounds like a significant privacy violation. It is not Emergency Services' business to broadcast what's going on in my neighbors' apartments.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I've used my cell phone to call the police in Boston a few years ago. My friend and I went back to his apartment to find the door broken down and robbed. I called 911 and got transferred to the State Police. They wanted the whole story. Then they transferred me to the Boston Police where I had to repeat myself. :rolleyes:

I also once called the CT police on the boarder of MA where I witnessed a car accident at 1:00AM. I got the Mass police. They put me on hold for 10 minutes to transfer me. I hung up and called back. The same thing happened again and I gave up. Eventually a cop drove by and stopped, just by chance. This was in 2010.

These systems evidently are not perfect.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Along here it's a 400 square mile dead zone, so if you need to call 911 from the road then you need to walk up the nearest mountain first. Or get brave and walk past some farmer's working dogs to ask if you can use his landline. Probably get new pockets cut in your jeans by time you're done. I actually used to carry dog biscuits... Anyway our problem isn't someone not answering the 911 call promptly, it's the likelihood we can't even make the call. Keeps things prety simple, if sometimes fatal.

23. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

In some areas, all cell 911 calls go to the highway patrol or state police. I think the reason why is that the local 911 center doesn't have the equipment and staff it would need to handle the calls properly.
    Also, 911 call routing is based on which tower you're connected to. In your latter story, the tower was probably in Massachusetts.
    Is that for all carriers? I think the FCC requires all cell carriers to allow any cellphone that can connect to that carrier's network to call 911 using that network, regardless of whether or not the cellphone user has a subscription with that carrier.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Not sure I understand what you're saying. Yes it's required that any cellphone that gets a signal be able to make a 911 call. The phone needs to see a tower, though. If there's no service, there's no service.