Called Apple for my free dock connector adapter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sir Ruben, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I ordered my iPhone 5 online as soon as the site went live. As many of you may know the site initially stated that 1 adapter is included free with the iPhone but was later changed.

Anyway I called apple and advised that the adapter was not included in my parcel. I spoke to a manager who advised that it was an error and that it was changed quickly. I argued the point that correcting the error is fine but for people who ordered while it was still there should be honoured by apple.

I mentioned that the 16gb iPhone had a price increase of £29 this year and that I had assumed this was to cover the included adapter. I also mentioned that when I purchased the phone online it was an agreement between me and apple and that I should receive everything that was described on the site at the time of purchase.

Unfortunately apple's stance is that they are not honouring the mistake under any circumstances and that if I wasn't happy I am entitled to a full refund of the phone. I advised the manager that I would reconsider my custom with apple in future as there is very strong competition these days and when I buy something I expect it to come with everything that is described at the time of purchase.

She did mention that the small print says they are entitled to correct mistakes and don't have to honour them. I said that with the profits apple make its a very poor customer experience.

And that was the end of that. I wonder what trading standard/consumer rights would say about it? Although I presume the customer does not have a leg to stand on.

2. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

Good. You should not get it. You know in your heart it is a mistake. You also were going to buy the phone without it. So stop trying to take advantage of a simple error and enjoy your phone.

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I thought Americans were the only ones that had a sense of entitlement.

IF it was an error by the company how are you entitled to get it? There is small print in EVERY agreement to cover just this very issue. If the dock is so important to you that you would stop purchasing items from apple maybe a re-evaluation of your life priorities is in order.

ATT used the "there's a clause" to explain why my confirmation statement said the phone would be delivered on the 21st but in reality it could be 5 Oct or later. They repeated over and over about the "clause" while I discussed my displeasure with the situation.

+1

4. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Come on! The price increase around the world is insane, you could expect 1!!! connector for your equipment (probably worth hundreds of $).
    In Austria the prices increased by 50€ (~65$).
    I can imagine the outrage, if the price in the US would be: from: 270$ instead of the 199$

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Nice try (seriously) but I think we all know it was corrected quickly and most of us didn't expect an adapter.

6. 808geek macrumors member

Well apparently since Apple had to make the correction, some one in corporate at some point thought it was a good idea. Otherwise their wouldn't be a correction to make. ;) Maybe Apple debated the idea of tossing in the adapter as a sign of good will with their fans and customers because they know most people have gadgets that won't support the lightening plug. They probably knew some would be upset at the fact they would have to buy this adapter to be able to use their phone in conjunction with their other gadgets. But in the end Apple found yet another way to make money at $40 a pop.

Note to self: Buy Apple stock ASAP, it only does on thing, go up :)

7. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Apple have complied with the law by offering you a full refund if you are unhappy with the product you purchased.

While it would be nice to get an adapter there isn't one in the box. Get over it or take up Apples offer of a refund. Why would you even think its something for Trading Standards?

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Generally in the UK, if a retailer tells you something when you buy a product, if it later turns out that they misled you (even if it was a mistake) then you're entitled to get a refund if they don't honour what they originally told you.

Small print cannot remove that legal right.

The iPhone 5 not including an adaptor is a big deal for a lot of people, not just because of the cost, but because it's not going to be available until next month (and presumably supplies will be constrained).

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've already spoken to local Trading Standards, they're investigating it.

I was going to add it as a separate order, but after I read about it, I decided not to, the page clearly stated that the iPhone already comes with it. Unfortunately, I was unavailable for the rest of the day which meant that I could not order it.

Apple do have the right to correct errors, however, this is a description error not a pricing error, which SOGA only refers to.

It is not a sense of entitlement, but it is righting a wrong.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...but you are entitled to get a refund so what is the problem?:confused:

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

He was offered a refund which he refused. I don't know the laws in Europe/ England when it comes to consumer protection but a poster above said it's covered in the law if he was offered a refund. Sucks that he didn't get one like many others did but that's the luck of the draw. Of course it would be nice if Apple decided to cut into their massive profits and offer every one a free dock like they did with Oi but alas, apple is all about profit and not so much the consumer (yes they have very good CS but that is so they can continue to over charge us and line their pockets.) Not a big fan of apple as a company but do love their phone.

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

He is entitled to a refund regardless, so Apple haven't done anything.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's just considered to be bad practice to advertise something and to not honour it.

More often than not, companies will honour mistakes like this.

It's not like a TV priced at £4.99 rather than £499

This is of course correct. If you buy something online (or over the phone or mail order) in the EU, you have 7 days from the day after you receive the product to return it for a full refund (assuming that you haven't used it).

14. imeth macrumors regular

I would hate to deal with a person like topic creator in life who just go out their ways to get something not entitled to.

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

yep:

I think you'd find that he is "entitled" to what he was told he would be getting.

The great thing is, is that I can come back two years from now and claim as I have rights for 6 years.

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

They offered him a refund if he wasn't happy with his purchase. That, according to one posters, is all they have to do to comply with the law.

Apple did all they had to do.

17. Munitalp macrumors 65816

I'm glad that they didn't give you one... you don't deserve it. They made a mistake, corrected it almost instantly... and you have the awesome option of returning the iPhone for a refund if you're unhappy -- problem solved!

18. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

If he was in singapore...

Remember the Dell case a couple years ago where they moved a decimal place, and a judge declared they had to honor the purchase price?

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

They should provide him with what he bought. They made a materially adverse change to what they sent him as opposed to what he ordered. Given the OP's situation, I'd return it and get an S3, but that's a decision he'll have to make.

20. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Its $5 on ebay. It'll work as good as Apple's.

21. newskin macrumors 6502

At least those guys didn't try to play dumb. One agent told me a few days ago, "if adapter doesn't come in box, just call us back. We'll be happy to ship u one, heck, it only costs us around 2$ to make them, plus we appreciate your business." Didn't second guess her, called back today and two agents claimed they never heard of the glitch. One of them actively googled it while on phone with me and was shocked that no one had informed him of this mistake. He goes on to tell me "guess all those customers before you were really telling the truth."

22. Skyjacker07 macrumors newbie

This is kind off subject but I've noticed how Americans have a very strong sense of entitlement, I work for a furniture and electronics rental company, these guys sign an agreement to rent to own something, and then pay some money towards it, after that if we run into issues they beleive it's theirs, and don't have to return or pay for it, keep in mind I'm American, but there are a lot of people who think they are entitled to everything.

23. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

My guess is that the vast majority of buyers would rather have had the $29 connector with the phone than the $29 headphones. (I believe I read where the prices were the same)

Better still would have been if Apple had shipped neither in the box but provided a coupon for the owner to get their desired choice.

24. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

At what cost is this righting a wrong? Trading standards etc, these people all need to be paid so realistically it is a huge waste of money, time and resources. What is your time worth? Personally I would just forget it, even if you feel wronged....

25. powrman811 macrumors member

If only every retailer honored listing mistakes :rolleyes: