Called my AT&T store today about stock for Friday..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKidWare, Sep 18, 2013.

1. iKidWare macrumors member

The guy told me they would have ALOT and emphasized the word ALOT. He said they should have them throughout the day. Thought it was extremely interesting considering the whole no preorder deal.

2. marm115 macrumors newbie

Glad to hear it. I wonder if the stock will be skewed toward the lower capacities though.

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

He is probably talking out of his ***, or worse yet, lying.

He has a financial benefit to get customers coming to his store. If he tells you the truth "I'm not really sure how many we are getting" or "We might not get that many on launch day" then he knows you will simply go to an apple store and his store will lose out on a potential sale. It's much easier for him to say "Oh yeah, we are getting ALOT on launch day" and deal with the consequences later.

4. marm115 macrumors newbie

Lying about levels of inventory to your (probably few) customers who care enough about the product you sell to call about inventory days in advance probably produces similarly negative consequences.

I could accept that he is merely speculating, possibly based on faulty information, but I think it unlikely that he would intentionally lie unless he is extremely short-sighted in regards to his business. Lying about things like this would only hurt in the long-run.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The only place that would have a large quantity of phones would be an Apple store.

Carriers maybe just get a handful of phones on launch day and that's it.

6. megapopular macrumors 6502a

I'm always skeptical about about things like this... I wonder what his idea of "A LOT" is because that can vary SO much from one person to another!!

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Either way the main point is that you cannot trust when a salesman tells you what you wan't to hear, has a financial incentive to do so, and what he is telling you goes against common knowledge.

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Did he say specify if there would be A LOT of the 5c or 5s?

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe he meant an actual 'lot' of iPhones not alot.:)
    They all don't know IMO

10. marm115 macrumors newbie

Even though I'd argue that iPhone inventory levels are not at all common knowledge (virtually nobody knows what they'll be like; it's all speculation right now) and that an average salesman has very little financial incentive to intentionally lie to potential customers (it's not like they're working on commission), points taken.

11. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

my local at&t store told me the exact same thing that should not be a problem getting a 5S on Friday

12. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I just got home from my Verizon store, the guy also said they would probably have enough stock for people to come in SATURDAY morning

And this guy was a fellow "geek", I always ask them technical questions to see if they are knowledgeable or just workers, I asked this guy what the RAM did in the iPhone 5s and he answered perfectly, so this guy knows what he's talking about, he was also a manager

13. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who" said you can get one Friday, no problem.

14. ricktat macrumors 65816

But, do they work for AT&T?:apple::eek:

15. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Stop by attcl corp store today and asked, the manager said that they will have stock but only the gray color, if I want white or gold, they can order it, but they won't have them at the store. Looks like I will be ordering online

16. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Correct. But you are under the impression that these att store guys are logical. These are 9 dollar an hour employees who want one thing, sales. They don't think as far as you did.

----------

My brothers sisters cousin bf knows a co worker who is friends with his sisters brother and their cousin met a guy in New York over the weekend who had a mom that knew his sisters dad and that person said she heard from some guy that you can get it Friday in store.

17. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

no offense but I find it hard to believe that they know what stock will be. Hope that it is true.

18. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I spoke with a verizon rep and he said there will only be a handful, he wouldnt specify with configs they had in stock but that it would be very limited and reccomended waiting very early in the AM.

19. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

The apple store in our area had at least 1000 last year. I would guess 1500+ was more like the number.

This year even though there are limited supplies, they did not do preorders. So i would guess there store stock will be double or even triple than what they had last year.