Called Verizon about early upgrade .....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LedZepp81, Sep 10, 2012.

  1. LedZepp81 macrumors newbie


    Mar 2, 2008
    I have read the mixed answers everyone gets when asking for an early upgrade, but figured what the heck I'll try. So the guy tells me "yeah sure, you've been with us for awhile I don't see an issue. I'll just need to get manager approval". He asked if I was ready to buy today and I said no, just getting my ducks in a row for Wednesday. BTW, my upgrade is two months out and for another line on the account.
    He understood the whole thing about the iPhone and said to just call back when it's officially announced and a manager would make the change for me. He also stated he put comments in my account about having it approved.

    I just don't know what to do cause I was planning on being ready at whatever hour to order online for pre-order. But if this is true and they will bump my upgrade I'll have to wait till they open first thing and order, which I would rather not do. Should I call back and attempt to have a manager make the change now, or do you think I would be ok to wait till when it goes on pre-order and call? I guess what I'm getting at is if I call and they won't bump it, will I still be ok to get a pre-order in?

  2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

    Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    Several people have gotten that workaround, but they all were told the same thing. You must wait until it's officially released so you won't be able to pre-order.
  3. calvy macrumors 65816

    Sep 17, 2007
  4. morecowbell macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2011
    I was told the same thing. What I think I will likely do is order a full price phone from Apple for launch day. Then, when my upgrade is due in early October, I'll get the discounted phone from Verizon and sell the original full price phone.

    Having an Iphone 5 not on contract, for sale in October, should fetch a pretty good price...maybe a even a profit.
  5. jredecop macrumors 6502a

    May 20, 2009
    same thing i'm thinking, as well as getting to test the waters with lte and unlimited internet before changing to the share plans.
  6. Garrett67 macrumors regular

    Jan 30, 2010
    The OP said 'Officially announced', not released. That would be Wednesday, not the 21st.
  7. kicko macrumors 65816

    Aug 26, 2008
    I called and ask the same thing and was told no. Maybe i should ask again, i'm only one month off so i dont really mind.
  8. willmtaylor macrumors G3


    Oct 31, 2009
    A Natural State
    And what happened to all of those detractors bashing VZW b/c Ma Bell has done this and Big Red won't?

    BTW, I don't know how anyone could defend either one of them.
  9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

    Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    Good catch. Some people were told officially released so in the OP's case, wait until the 12th then call the manager.
  10. Calipad Suspended


    Mar 16, 2012
    Apple has a 30 day return policy right? Then I will order a full price phone from Apple and return it when my eligibility comes up 2 weeks later with Verizon.
  11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    ... or you could wait two weeks.

    My upgrade date isn't until 6/13/2013, and I don't have the money to upgrade anyway. I know, #firstworldproblems!
  12. sjc83 macrumors 6502


    Oct 9, 2008
    maybe I should give them a call, mine is up on 10.10.12


    That will be pain to do, don't do it.
  13. taedouni macrumors 65816

    Jun 7, 2011
    I am not due for an upgrade until October of 2013. I added a new line to my account (they put me on a Verizon Loyalty 550 Mins plan, that way I wouldn't be forced to start a family shared plan). Basically I just pay an extra $10 a month for that line (month to month). When the pre orders start for the new iPhone, I can simply transfer the upgrade from my dumb phone line to my main line. I simply upgrade. $10 extra for 24 months is $240, plus activation fee and possibly an upgrade fee (I am going to try to get that waived). If I wanted to cancel my ETF I would have to pay $300 upfront and I would lose my upgrade eligibility for next year. I don't mind paying an extra $120 a year in order to qualify for a new upgrade each year ($450-$120= $330 savings).
  14. brando123b macrumors regular


    Nov 22, 2010
    I just called Verizon and was told there are no early upgrades on Apple products. The gentleman I spoke with said that any approved requests are quickly disputed and rejected.

    He said for any other manufacturer they can work with customers to fudge the date a bit but not Apple. Their contract is very strict about adhering to upgrade timeframes.

    He said if anyone has been told otherwise they are most likely in for a rude awakening once the phone is announced and those requests are denied by management.
  15. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a


    Apr 19, 2010
    Swoyersville, PA
    I had my upgrade on Verizok moved. Was originally eligible for 10/10/12. However, about two months ago when I inquired about something I had asked via e-mail about early upgrade. When I received an e-mail back I was told about a 30 day early upgrade policy, so I kept that e-mail. I called on Sunday and explained to the girl on the phone about the e-mail and how I was told about the policy. She started telling me about how when I knew what phone I wanted to call in and they would place the order. I told her I'd rather go to a store so I just wanted the upgrade moved (as I was told it could be in the e-mail). She proceeded to transfer me to "Loyalty" which is code for retentions, explained to this girl the whole story, got put on hold and when she came back she said your upgrade is available from today, as my manager just moved it. I actually got both lines moved from 10/10/12 to 9/8/12 because the manager wasn't sure which line was to be moved.

    Call and ask for loyalty. When she asked what phone I was interested in, I stated that I was keeping all my options open. I didn't specifically mention the iPhone.
  16. willmtaylor macrumors G3


    Oct 31, 2009
    A Natural State

    This is the most consistently reported story, and I'm afraid there are going to be those who just won't listen and are in for a rude awakening.
  17. Uln4321 macrumors regular

    Feb 3, 2011
    This is what I plan on doing also. Mine is 2 weeks as well but I don't think I can wait that long! How sad is that. :apple:
  18. aneftp macrumors 601

    Jul 28, 2007
    You won't be making a profit on a Verizon locked sixth gen iPhone unless it unlocked for international use and u want to resell it internationally.

    Verizon and sprint iPhones even the same as AT&T do not offer true "unlocked" features for all gsm carriers. Verizon and sprint iPhones are locked when used within the USA to their respective CDMA carriers.
  19. LedZepp81 thread starter macrumors newbie


    Mar 2, 2008
    I'm prepared to be disappointed when I call. But if the guy I spoke with today isn't pulling my leg it would be a nice surprise.
    The mention of the loyalty thing is inline with the response I received today. I also have the corporate discount on my account, if that has anything to due with it. Either way, discount or not I'll be getting it!
  20. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a


    Jun 19, 2011
    BWAHAHAHAHA. Fulfill your contracts gents...THEN ask for your precious subsidized phones.

    Some of you don't get it. These gadgets are worth over $700...and you want them for a mere $200 without responsibility? Please. There has to be money changing hands somewhere. Apple's price for a 16GB iPhone is $649. You want that phone? Pay the money either through:

    A: paying for the phone that is absurdly overpriced in the first place (Apple makes at LEAST 50% margin)
    B: paying for it by signing a 2 year contract for an equally absurdly overpriced service such as data and voice transmission from a bullpoodoo carrier.

    Pick your poison ladies and gentlemen.

Share This Page