Calling All Bay Area Experts…

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Giver '94, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'm going to be vacationing in San Francisco for the next four days and I was hoping to get some advice regarding great restaurants in the city or nearby areas that can be easily accessed by the BART. I've never been to San Francisco before so any recommendations would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

2. run-kmc macrumors member

Kokkari, in San Francisco. It's maybe a ten minute walk from the Embarcadero station.

Golden Lotus is right by 12th St. station in Oakland. It's a Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant. Very interesting. Lunch is good - never been there for dinner.

House of Nanking, in San Francisco. It's more of a walk, at least half a mile from either Montgomery or Embarcadero, and there might be a line, and people either love it or hate it, but if you end up loving it, it's totally worth it.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

4. Auszero macrumors member

Liverpool Lil's by the presidio is a great little pub.
    Thursday nights at the Academy of Sciences they serve drinks and its really cool.
    Pacific Puffs has amazing cream puffs. I highly recommend it.

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Huh. You must live pretty close to me in the greater Pacific Heights / Presidio area. Pacific Puffs is pretty darned good, but it's awfully hard to pass by That Takes The Cake for some truly amazing cupcakes. Grab an old skool sandwich at Marina Sub while you're there.

Let's see... restaurants near BART... You can always hit the Ferry Building and graze/gawk at all the gourmet food stands there. Best to hit it on a farmer's market day - I highly recommend the Mexican stand that serves up some killer tamales. Get a coffee at Blue Bottle - totally worth the long wait.

The BART stops at 16th/Mission and 24th/Mission both put you near many, many excellent restaurants. Monk's Kettle, Ritual Roasters, Velvet Cantina, Range, El Toro Tacqueria, Papalote, Bissap Baobab, Beretta, Foreign Cinema, Tartine, Delfina / Pizzeria Delfina... Way too many good options.