Calling All Entrepreneurs: I Think I Made It, Now Make Me Finish

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After a dozen fully-conceptualized projects I think I have one that can catch on in the market. It's a brand new type of alarm clock unlike any other alarm on the market; one that will improve sleeping and waking for anybody. It's not the kind you leave next to your bed; there are multiple lucid twists on the product! It's actually several products in one new form and design; to buy them all would cost $300-$500+ while this will be $150 if not much lower. This has been in the back of my head for a while and now I finally have it outlined in a brilliant (IMO) way (vs the old ridiculous concept) and have a manufacturer lined up. Problem is: I've had major ideas I've decided not to fund at the last minute before.

Words of wisdom from the entrepreneurs?

It's relatively cheap to develop; it would likely cost $15k tops for the mould and app. Think it's unique enough to Kickstart as well.

I love spending hundreds of hours developing products but haven't pulled the trigger yet despite the time lost. I think it's the time...

2. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Dooooo it, dooooo it, doooooo it!

Then tell me how you did it, lol. I've been in the same boat before...I've had great, practical ideas in the back of my head and have never gone through will actually developing them, mostly because I just don't even know where to begin.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

4. chown33 macrumors 604

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I have faith; the only issue is choosing which project to take a leap of faith with first.

----------

You can PM me for some advice. I could at least give you some tips on beginning the concept, prototyping, and final manufacturing.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Expound, please. Convince me it's better.
    :)

7. mobilehaathi, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The dude quoted below clearly has it all figured out, perhaps you should ask him?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Kickstart it.

But note that most people use their phone for alarm clock.

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

There are potential plans for it :).

It has Bluetooth 4.0 so does interface with phones. It's quite convenient and unique but cost to build is a bit higher than I'd like with all the technologies inside. This costs 10-20 times more to build than the average alarm clock but I can still keep price under $100.

----------

Good call, he seems like a good entrepreneur :D haha.

----------

Can't do that without revealing it but it does have 4-5 technologies not normally found in an alarm clock.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Here is your perfect alarm clock: If its not this good luck.

Something about the size of the bose sound link mini. Equally as good looking, and with a clock display in the front. Let me adjust the brightness. Give it some good sound. and large snooze button on the top. Give it bluetooth, and an app where I can set up songs / or pandora/iradio channels to make up to. throw in options to work work with those fitbits, or whatever they are that are supposed to wake you up at the ideal point in the sleep cycle, and options that work with the HUE lights so that my lights can slowly turn on like the rising son would. Man waking up in the dark sucks.

There you have it. AND GO.

edit give it an option to talk to the Keurig so the coffee is ready is ready too.

Hey someone from NEST, we should talk. ;)

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Actually some of this is part of the functionality although implemented differently. I'd almost venture to say remove this haha. I can tell you it's an extremely small design!

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

My point was that anyone can dream. The real money is in bringing the product to market. You're only 10% there, hopefully thats some motivation.

13. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

Sounds like a really promising concept. I would love to see the product in action through Kickstarter. Just be sure to get all the proper copyrights of your product

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Um, I think I've got one of those already … though it relies on phone or iPad via bluetooth to provide the playlists. Otherwise it has 6 radio station presets in case I don't have a device paired with it. Oh, and it doesn't do the lights. But it cost me only about $60CDN.

And it's small. And the sound is pretty good, it has better reception than my old alarm clock.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You do know that the actual production cost of a device that retails for $300 is usually somewhere around $150 at most, right?

With your feature list have you really rationalized your BOM+labor+overhead cost in the volumes you can realistically expect to build at first?

A small run (say 100) of prototype boards for such a device can easily cost $150 each, at least many of the pretty simple boards I've designed have ended up costing that much even if ultimate the volume cost might be $25. That's $15K right there.

You've mentioned Bluetooth 4.0 as a feature. Looking at available transceivers I see costs of ~$15-$25 in small volume (1-1000) for just that feature. http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...ge=1&chp=0&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Do you really know what's entailed in doing this?

B

16. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I have a prototype built already lacking some features but it's got the size I'd like and Bluetooth 4.0. Also know the exact production cost. The app will be the most expensive part from here.

----------

Name of it?

----------

Got a prototype already of the hardware :). Out of curiousity, what would you pay for a device with half of those features you listed?

It's not exactly a traditional alarm clock though. As a "feature" there is no time display; just on the app. This is to prevent people from sleeping longer than they intended. Maybe one will be added but it's actually an expensive addition in a device as small as this.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Great! As long as you have the numbers and have run them by someone with more experience than you that doesn't have a dog in this fight. (i.e. NOT your manufacturing partner).

My experience has always been that the production cost of anything is only an estimate good at a particular instant in time. So, saying that you know the exact production cost seems a bit naïve.

All it takes is one lousy component to become supply constrained to throw a monkey wrench into product release plans.

B

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

people still buy alarm clocks that cost that much? :p

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The last time I bought an alarm clock was 2002; it was $30, and I thought it was a rip off. Feel free to extrapolate from my anecdote! :cool:

20. MICHAELSD, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

A company took what is essentially my device without the clock display on it and have raised over $10 million already! Was preparing an order of a prototype or two but I'm not sure what to do now... Their Kickstarter is approaching a million! With proper marketing this would've been my device. Same execution and similar design as well! They just beat me to the punch. Wow; if I had spent money to expedite the process this would've likely been my product being crowd-funded first. It wasn't even an abstract idea that more than a few people would have bad; this was my device and I knew exactly how to bring it to market cost-efficiently. Great. :eek:

(No links to this product please.)

Yes, it was my fault for not moving fast enough in development but this product is so similar it's almost as if they took all my notes on it and developed based off of those. I also realize that these are two different companies so it wouldn't have turned out exactly the same but their product is basically what mine was supposed to be, and it was a specific idea that very few visionaries would have had.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And why is that?

This wouldn't happen to be it, would it?

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I call absolute BS. I did some research. I found 8 funded kickstarter projects where only one hit just under $100k. So no, $10mil from Kickstarter for a clock that interacts with your cell phone? Nope.

Because it does not exist on Kickstarter if the primary function is a clock. If it is something else then perhaps that is possible as I didn't look into it. Your description weighs heavily on it being some kind of alarm clock from what I can ascertain. Still, $10m, we would have read about that happening because it would have been a pretty huge event for Kickstarter and the people who are looking for the funding.
    When you lack focus, drive, know-how, and most likely funds to produce even a working prototype (not one lacking many features as you described above), you will fall short. You have to move fast, move smart, and move first.

I suppose he could mistake $10m for just under $700k :D

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Somehow I read "over $10 million" as "almost $1 million". It's too damn early and I haven't had my caffeine yet. :p

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They took your idea or developed a similar product independently?

Tough spot to be in, you don't develop a product fast enough someone else will.

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well Michael, I guess you didn't follow your own advice: