Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never used it, and based on the issues that people have with a esata express card, I probably will never use it

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I've never used it, and based on the issues that people have with a esata express card, I probably will never use it

The Sonnet Pro seems to be working well now.

But I want a card that is bootable, and that can be also used with Bootcamp, virtualization, just in case.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Because of the above, I was thinking to get a FW400 card, to free up the FW800, increased compatibility and also have current on FW400.

But I think I'll wait a bit for a Mac-compatible USB 3.0+FW400 card.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I use it all the time to capture HD footage from my camera that records to express cards. A Sony xdcam EX-3 HD camera. It's 8 times faster than hooking my camera up with a USB cable. Life saver on location. I'm devastated that they removed it. The 17" is just too big to drag a long

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
I use mine daily for e-SATA access to an external HDD.
It is a VERY touchy connection. I cannot move my laptop while connected or it will hard-lock my MBP and require a power button reboot.
If I don't mess with it, it runs very fast and well. Honestly though, if there is any danger of losing important work, I would avoid the e-SATA express cards (at least on my 2006 17" MBP).

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I have a 3G modem that is express34. Used it as my main connection until about 2 months ago. Now have a nice, fast DSL connection!.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I have a 3G modem that is express34. Used it as my main connection until about 2 months ago. Now have a nice, fast DSL connection!.

That is what I use it for. The ExpressCard modems were very reasonably priced so I bought one unlocked for about $30.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Used to use an eSATA card.

Worked perfectly apart from being a MASSIVE pain in the rear.

Have a Mac Pro now for all my storage needs so therefore its redundant.

Did get 80Mb/sec sustained with this setup tho:

1Tb --> eSATA --> MBP --> Gigabit --> Mac Pro --> Internal 1Tb.

Copied 500Gb in 100 Mins(ish) was very impressed!

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I recently installed the Filemate 48GB Express Card as my boot volume, on my Unibody 17" MBP. I love it. It's the perfect mate for my internal 500GB 5400rpm drive. Wonder why I never did this sooner.

amorcito

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
I recently installed the Filemate 48GB Express Card as my boot volume, on my Unibody 17" MBP. I love it. It's the perfect mate for my internal 500GB 5400rpm drive. Wonder why I never did this sooner.

Where did you purchase, and did it include an extended warranty? I would love to purchase for my MBP that's on its way, but I read on the forums of one using having to exchange after a few months via the manufacture. I want something to last awhile for that price.

Can anyone here, who has an express card, and uses estata, recommend a good manufacture/model for an esata card? Thanks!

waffles123

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
When USB 3.0 does come out, will there be such a thing as a usb 3.0 card that one can put in the express card slot? Will it fit? Is that even possible?

Second, @Kelen, can you point me to a link of your multicard reader that you use? Thanks.

amorcito

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
When USB 3.0 does come out, will there be such a thing as a usb 3.0 card that one can put in the express card slot? Will it fit? Is that even possible?

Second, @Kelen, can you point me to a link of your multicard reader that you use? Thanks.

Yes, Seagate makes one called the BlackArmor. It comes with a 500gb external drive, and a 3.0 express card. It's 179.99, and currently available for purchase.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
I am using the FileMate 48GB card and an APIOTEK eSATA 300. Both work flawlessly... I can even boot from the eSATA. No problems with flakiness.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I use a FW800 card on my first-gen MBP (only has FW400 natively,) daily when I have everything connected and am using my MBP as my 'desktop'; plus a multi-card-reader when mobile. (I use a USB hub/card-reader/iPhone dock when operating in 'desktop' mode.)

The FW800 card uses the PCI Express connection, the multi-card-reader uses the USB connection.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
Where did you purchase, and did it include an extended warranty? I would love to purchase for my MBP that's on its way, but I read on the forums of one using having to exchange after a few months via the manufacture. I want something to last awhile for that price.

Can anyone here, who has an express card, and uses estata, recommend a good manufacture/model for an esata card? Thanks!

I bought it from Amazon, which was actually from Tiger Direct. The warranty is from WinTec for 1 year for parts and labor. Of course Tiger Direct has an extended plan for the item. So far no issues, just speed. :)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4505183&CatId=4218

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.