Calling all moderate republicans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Aug 22, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have heard many moderate republicans claim to be moderates. I have heard you disclaim the tea party and the radical right who are trying to destroy our country.

I have created this thread as an avenue for all of you to express your displeasure with the far, far, far, right wing whackos who have taken over your party.

As a liberal, I will not add my voice to your internal discussion, but I will be watching because I'm curious about how many of you are really out there.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think the GOP is a good place for moderates right now. I consider myself a moderate (I'm really pretty economically conservative). If / when there are economically moderate to a-little-more-conservative candidates out there who are not pushing way-conservative social plans, I'm legitimately interested in them. Rick Snyder, here in Michigan, was one such example. They're rare, however, and they quickly get forced into ridiculous social positions by the more right-leaning elements. I don't think the GOP is an at all hospitable place for them right now.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sadly the gop has gone so far right wing nut job that the moderates hsve been push out.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok I will play.

I consider myself independent but tend to vote more center right. The mega rich should have to pay more in taxes then they do. As for destroying the country, I think both sides are and have been doing that for decades. I don't personally like any of the candidates the GOP has offered. While they are all saying the generic talking points I have not heard any substance, I would say there is a dark horse out there not yet in the race that will come in to take the nomination.

I am not happy with how either side is running the country and that goes for the president as well. I am still not seeing any huge changes to healthcare that I was promised to see. My insurance company is still raping me up the ass for every premium and then saying oh sorry we won't cover that.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I used to consider myself a moderate republican, but I can't do that anymore. I've changed to liberal because I don't want to be in the same league as crazy people who try to cure gays, people who won't take 10:1 taxes to revenue, and people who won't allow abortion in a rape case.

Moderate republicans really have no choice but to vote liberal until the tea party wackos are ousted, and we're offered a real candidate.

8. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

As the Founding Fathers warned, beware of political parties. I think we should eliminate political parties and have everyone be independents.

I am a moderate Republican and it's time to get rid of the extremes on all sides.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who has called out Bachmann and Perry on their *******e and gets no press about it.

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

He's on Piers Morgan tonight. 9 Eastern CNN.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Like I said, no press. :D

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The 5th Estate has become a 5th column for their Republican masters.

Al Jazeera, for the win.

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

There will always be extremes. It really doesn't matter if they self-identify with a political party or not.

And, of course, the ratings-driven media will eagerly be there to hand them all a microphone.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Being a moderate is considered a weak stance these days in politics, particularly on the right, and as you said social and economic issues have become pre-packaged in apparently inseperable ways. For example, I can't see a pro-choice Republican making any headway towards a presidential candidacy, regardless of his economic policy. The same goes for any potential Republican candidate who doesn't oppose gay marriage, opposes Intelligent Design, or is not Christian. These things are becoming integral features of American conservatism.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You mean like have a discussion for your entertainment AND fit into your little box of where you think "moderate republicans" are politically? That sounds soooo fun.

16. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Hell, I can't even vote anymore! I'm a fiscal conservative and an atheist. I can't stand all the wasteful spending/entitlement attitude or the crazy religious crap. :D

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

+1
    I don't really know what to do, either. I'll probably be voting liberal though(I'll be 18 this time :D), because I'm more afraid of these biblical literalists than big government spenders.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sweet zombie jesus, you're no fun.

The idea of a "moderate" is a framing, but I think we could create a rubric.
    At the very least we should be able to use the Political Compass.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think you rank as one of my top 5 most reasonable people here. :D

20. hulugu, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, we really are in trouble. ;)

Saw this on fivethirtyeight and thought it apropos:

[​IMG]

First dimension is candidate's ideological assertions; second is grass-roots versus establishment; third is color, represents the region of each candidate (yellow for west, blue for northeast, red for south, green for midwest); the fourth is the candidate's popularity according to various polls.

Note, this was compiled by Nate Silver, but I think it's an interesting way to look at the GOP field. Romney, Huntsman, Johnson, and Paul would represent the 'moderate' Republicans; Bachmann, Cain, Santorum, the 'radicals.'

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And he crossed over to *******e territory when she said he would run as Bachmann's VP. Shakes head.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Nobody's offed that tool yet? Come on America you've got a reputation to keep up.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This can only be reinforced by the kind of "moderation" people like Obama and Boehnor show, pairing the worst possible choices among GOP and Democratic positions, pair them together, call them "compromise," and chastise others for not accepting them. The kind of compromises that have arisen from the two major parties in the last few months would make anyone reconsider being a moderate. (The early bipartisan recommendation to stabilize the debt, the one nobody wanted to have anything to do with, might be a good counter-example.)

Friedman talks about the idea of a radical center, which is more of the sort of moderate view I think we need, although it remains to be seen who is actually functioning in this radical center and who is using compromise as a double-speak.

24. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I have my opinion of what a moderate is, but you will note that I didn't give a definition. When polled, most people refer to themselves as moderate, so it is clearly a fluid and self-defined term.

My point here is not just my entertainment, but to encourage those who consider themselves moderates to have a discussion, realize they are not alone, and maybe, just maybe, stand up to the elements of the grand old party they don't like. There will be more moderate candidates to choose from if people go out and support them and encourage their views. On the other hand, if reasonable people stay home from the primary elections they are allowing the tea party and the billionaires who fund the GOP to set the agenda.

I respect views I disagree with. Reasonable people should be able to have an adult, mature discussion about the issues and even when they disagree, should be able to work together to address problems we are facing.

Does that sound like today's Tea Party GOP?

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut