Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I notice in Leopard they have the exposé application and now on the new keyboards they have a dedicated exposé button. However exposé has many different options. Desktop, All windows, application windows. So what happens when you press the new exposé button on the keyboard, which function does it do, can you get the other options through modifiers. Same questions applies to the exposé application in Leopard.

If you own a new iMac what does this area of system preferences look like

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 107

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I'd imagine they'll make it so it's the three different shortcut keys which modify which Exposé is activated.

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Their new keyboard looks less comfortable to type on. Looks like a notebook keyboard. I possibly need a new keyboard, since I am tired of the sh*t BlueTooth one, so I hope I can find a wired one of the old ones. Or that I am wrong, and the new ones are as comfortable with as good keyboard action.

Sorry, that was a bit sidetracked:)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Their new keyboard looks less comfortable to type on. Looks like a notebook keyboard. I possibly need a new keyboard, since I am tired of the sh*t BlueTooth one, so I hope I can find a wired one of the old ones. Or that I am wrong, and the new ones are as comfortable with as good keyboard action.

Sorry, that was a bit sidetracked:)

Sidetrack: A bit but i'm sure the old ones can be found in apple stores or John Lewis, you may be even get them to discount it by telling them it is the old model.

On topic: anyone used either Leopard/ new keyboard or perhaps both together know the answer.

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Sidetrack: A bit but i'm sure the old ones can be found in apple stores or John Lewis, you may be even get them to discount it by telling them it is the old model.

On topic: anyone used either Leopard/ new keyboard or perhaps both together know the answer.

In Leopard (so far) Exposé is the same as it is in Tiger. Opening Exposé.app is the same as hitting F9 (all Windows).

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
i think they added the expose.app to make os x more userfriendly :\

you also dont need the spaces app to be clickable either but they put that in(dashboard either to be honest).

It's the same as it is in tiger, and theres still the same key functions and hot corners so don't worry. I lovemy hot corners :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I wasn't worried about them actually changing exposé or removing hot corners, i just wondered why they would make it more un-userfriendly, specifically with the keyboard, by removing the "dedicated" keys for exposé with just a single key. Surely for switchers they will use this button and think that is all that exposé can do, same applies to the .app.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'd imagine they'll make it so it's the three different shortcut keys which modify which Exposé is activated.

is it just that it's too early in the morning, or did that make no sense? :p

i'd assume from the logo on the key that it's "all windows", by far the most used, in my book.

i think it's a good thing.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
I imagine it can either be set up in Preferences, but by default I expect it'll toggle with each press between the modes as if you'd pressed F9 (All windows), F10 (Applications), F11 (Desktop).

Or the Ctrl/Option/Cmd + F4 route, as someone else suggested.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
too early, you posted that at 11.34 am hardly early.

I'm hoping someone with a new iMac will actually respond.

as a recovering student recently graduated and hasn't started his new job yet, trust me, it wasn't early. :p

i'm sure someone will pick up on this. however, there are also the many who have purchased the new keyboard...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Don't they turn everything into an app for development? I remember when Tiger was being developed, Spotlight was an app that had its own icon in the dock and everything.

briangkuhn

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
News from a new iMac Owner

Hi. I have the 20" new iMac.

Which Expose function?

The Exposé key (F3) invokes the All Windows.

Keyboard Shortcut Options

The Keyboard Shortcut options are *exactly* as pictured. They still map F9 - F11 to expose and F12 to dashboard. BUT, in reality, they work as follows:

F9 - Fast-Forward
F10 - Mute
F11 - Volume Down
F12 - Volume Up

And there are now new Function keys. But I'll be darned if I can't reassign anything (i.e. I liked the traditional shortcuts.) Oh well...

But, how does it feel?

I was dubious about the chiclets. But I was taken completely by surprise. The new keyboard is fantastic! Very reponsive. Very quick. Easier to use than the previous generation of keyboards.

The form facter is surprising too. It feels natural, right. And it's very pretty, too. (It works especially well if you're a touch typist and you raise your wrists a off the desk. Then it's as if they keyboard barely exists.)

One owner's take... Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.