Calling all who have switched from a 15-inch to a 13-inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whackintosh, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

I'm currently the happy owner of a late 2008 MBP, which I love save for the terrible battery life and the virtual inability to use on planes and in tight spaces (those extra 2-inches makes a bigger difference than one would think).

I'm very seriously considering downsizing to a 13-inch machine, but I worry that I might have a hard time getting used to the smaller screen. For those of you have have made the switch, how did you find yourself liking the screen? Did you get used to it or does it continue to feel cramped?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I haven't switched but I do own 15 and 13" MBPs. I bought the 13 b/c, as you note, the 15 isn't comfortable to use on a plane. The 13 is a joy and its the only computer I travel with now. I thought I might have a problem w/ the screen size b/c I have bad memories of the old 12" PowerBook. But the 13" MBP doesn't feel cramped at all and I don't "think" I'm using a smaller screen when I'm using it.

3. w4rmk macrumors regular

I switched from a 15" to a 13" and find the smaller size ideal. The screen size is not a problem at all.

4. DoorMouse macrumors member

I switched from a 15" powerbook to a 13" MBP. I found the screen size fine, and it didn't take me long to get used to. I sometimes wish I had an external monitor for when I have lots of different documents open, but on the whole, the 13" suits my needs way better (and for the price difference between a 15" and a 13" I could probably just go and buy an external monitor).

The 13" has much better portability in terms of carrying round for class, fitting in bags etc and substantially lighter than my old powerbook. It also sits much better on pull out tables on the chairs in lecture theatres.

I guess it depends what you are using it for, but for a student I find the 13" perfect.

5. man02195 macrumors regular

I've had a 15 for a year, and just picked up a 13 for the house. It wasn't an easy transition, I like the 15 much better for the extra screen real estate. I used a 15 HD matte i7 at the apple store over the weekend, and it was great.

6. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

I switched from 15 to 13 as well. The 15 was just too big and not comfortable to take on-the-go. if you guys want to maximize screen real estate, put your dock on the right side and shrink it. Then, you should be able to maximize your windows all the way do to the bottom right edge of the screen. this works really well for me and gives me a lot more viewing area compared to having the dock on the bottom.