Calling those of you who bought a MBP case on eBay!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Audrey313, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Audrey313 macrumors member

Ok so this subject randomly came up in another thread about Speck cases but I'm sure the views were limited...so I wanted to start a new thread to open it up to everyone to give the subject the best chance of gathering info and so those who are also interested (or were not even aware these were out there) can get some feedback. So I thought I'd open it up to all you experts and experienced!

There is a plethora of generic MBP cases on eBay from different sellers. Most are from Hong Kong but there are some US ones as well. Since the "name brand" ones are pricey (considering it is 2 pieces of plastic), I am interested in finding out more about these (and would guess others out there would be as well).*

So...if you have purchased one on eBay, please tell us which seller you got it from, which MBP you have (if it is the 2010 model or older), and your review of the product (how it fits, if it is MagSafe compatible, etc.). If you could possibly include a picture so we could see the color and how it looks in "real life", that would be really great!!

I would be very appreciative of your input of details and opinion on the case you ordered. I'm very interested in buying one for my new MBP so your feedback would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks in advance SO much!

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

will post pics once I get mine in a day or two

would also be interested in seeing pics from others who have already gone this route:)

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Cases, Cases, Cases

I'd be careful with buyers in Hong Kong etc, but read the buyer reviews and keep a copy of your eBay receipt. Some have good experiences other bad. Can't post my own experience as im getting my case from Brenthaven here a link to my thread some good cases mentioned here :p
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=921942&highlight=macsavvytech

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

nothing to worry about with paypal disputes+ ebay buyer protection

5. devils punchbow macrumors member

It certainly is produced differently then the Speck brand. Can tell just by looking at those ebay pics. Not sure I understand though......you can afford MBP, but you want to ebay a cheap shell on ebay. Though before you buy the ebay brand you want others to comment on if they are safe to buy, or not.

Why not support Speck who is going to give you much better support if a problem arises. Speck is in California, and are very easy to communicate with. My Speck clear hard shell rocks ! The ebay ones will probably be fine if they fit your generation mac. Personally I'm supporting the company that is in the same state as me. Speck or other.....their probably all produced over sees so that should not influence a decision.

Down side to ebay seller is return policies, must pay shipping if you want to return within return period, etc. Speck much more professional with these type of things. Pre pay return shipping, 30 day return ploicy, etc. You'll get the support that you pay for, or not pay for in ebay purchasing case......

6. ihonda macrumors 68000

because speck is out of line charging $50 for some clear plastic and then doing that real jigger move by just cutting it so the new macbook charger works.. its the principal behind it.

7. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Kindof like how Apple charges you a lot more than it costs to make the computer and such. ?

I'm pretty sure Speck charges such a high amount because of all the work that goes into making the case. The end product when all said and done will not cost very much to make, but they put a lot of work into designing the case itself and getting it perfect.

50 dollars to protect your 1k+ dollar laptop from any scratches, is not a bad price to pay.

The thing about e-Bay cases is that they are made on the cheap, and probably are more for cosmetic protection than actual. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those cases actually caused a few scratches themselves.
    They care about making the cases, and selling them. Making money.
    I realize Speck is after money also, that's what companys do. But they have representatives and such, while e-Bay cases do not.

So, from Speck, let's see what you get for about 20 dollars more.

Way better quality (especially shown in the satin cases.)
    Notice that a lot of e-Bay cases don't even let things shine through, they have cut outs for everything, including the battery button.

Customer Service. (Which is an extra expense to them, by the way. So talking about principles isn't very valid, since they're not making a straight profit.) You buy a case off of e-Bay and it scratches your laptop, what happens? They won't do anything other than maybe refund the case.

I'm not downing the e-Bay cases, I mean. They are what they are.
    I'd be very interested in seeing how they actually are, usually people don't post anything about them for some reason. I just bought an iPad case off of e-Bay. No brand, and it's awesome. Bought my iPod and iPhone cases off of there too. But those are all different than a Macbook. But anyway.
    I'd love to see pictures and stuff of e-Bay cases, but I don't think Speck is unreasonable for their price tag.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Even speck cases can cause scratches, just clean the case occasionally

it's more like $40 more for a speck case (except for the satin cases since I haven't seen those on ebay)

speck has better quality control that's a given but saying that they put a lot more into the design is just bull

it's polycarbonate, probably made at the same factories in Shenzhen if I'd take a guess

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Why do people go into threads simply to derail them and argue? If you're not interested in the OP's subject, or disagree with buying these cases from ebay, all you have to do is not read it and not post. Pretty simple.

10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Are you talking about me?
    I'm just correcting what iHonda said.

I'm all for the whole e-Bay review / photos thing, it's really interesting. I've always wanted to see them, because nobody ever seems to post videos or pictures or anything of them if they buy them.

Speck cases don't cause scratches, dirt inside of the case can cause scratches.
    When I said the scratch thing, I meant that these cases would literally cause the scratches themselves.
    And I bought my speck case for 40 dollars on e-Bay.
    So I guess they're giving the other ones away for free.

I've seen some e-Bay ones for 20 dollars though, not the free ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PURPLE-METALLIC...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b2ef888b

Ah, cool. Apple logo cut out of the cover.

The only one I've ever seen on e-Bay that looks somewhat decent is

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUE-HARD-CASE-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf02fbe0b

Which has the battery indicator light button exposed, along with a LOT of the bottom. Huge holes on the bottom. And the back.

I'm just saying, their design on it is not close to the quality of Speck's.
    It's not about quality control, it's about quality in general.
    I'm not saying these are ****, but they're not as good as Speck's, and you clearly get what you pay for.

20 dollar difference (it really is a 20 dollar difference)
    for quality. And if it's not for quality, oh well. Then it's for the customer service and company backing that comes with it.
    I think that's worth it.

11. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

12. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Best of both worlds, I bought a Speck case (new in shrink wrap) on eBay for $22.50; I got clear red (my second choice in color, I wanted the lime green but they were going for $60).

However, I have a late '08 MBP so no issures with the power adapter.

13. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone tell me the order numbers of the new MBP 13" and 15"? eBay sellers seem to go by those and I can't find this on the Apple website. If I do end up ordering, I want to make sure it is for the NEW MBP and that I won't have to do any rigged alterations.

aeboi-I'm anxious to hear your review and see pics! And also hoping maybe others that have bought cases on there will post (no matter if it is a good or bad review!).

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

13" = MC374LL/A
    15" = MC371LL/A

they sometimes use difference model numbers, send them a question and they'll tell you if it fits or not

15. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

Thank ya!

16. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

17. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

What is your review and which seller did you use? Looks pretty good...

18. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

looks good, fits good (exact fit, no wiggle room), precise cut outs, nothing is blocked and it's made for the newest gen MBP so that's good

the nubs on the bottom of the case are foam instead of rubber, would have preferred rubber or plastic but it grips to the table just fine

the finish on the edges and such aren't as pristine as the speck cases if you study it closely

I can't see the sleep light in the front since I chose the solid black, not a problem if you choose any other color (since they're transparent except for black)

I took off and put on the case back on about 10 times just to see if any scratches would be made to the aluminum, no dice but that's a good thing anyways :)
    overall, very satisfied for $13
    took a week and half to get here
    bought mine from the seller mangofone

let me know if any specific photos of the case are wanted

19. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the complete review. So you are overall happy with the product and glad that you ordered from eBay? Also, double checking, no probs with MagSafe plugging in correctly? I might just be sold...

20. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

yup, satisfied

there's no obstruction to the magsafe adapter

[​IMG]

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Thanks for the pics and review - I'm tempted to try one of these myself. What is the weight like? Does it make your MBP significantly heavier?

22. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

does add around 10 oz to the MBP