Calls Dropping with iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMonkey13, Oct 1, 2014.

1. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

With my old iPhone 5 I rarely had any dropped calls. Since getting the iPhone 6 I drop 3-4 calls per day! I noticed that the signal strength (via bluetooth in my car) keeps dropping to 1 or 2 bars. Is this a known problem?

ps - I already downloaded 8.0.2.

2. mizer420 macrumors newbie

What carrier are you using?

If you are on Verizon and have VOLTE on there is currently no handshake from LTE to 3G since this is basically in beta stage. So if you lose LTE you lose your all period. I travel daily and this is becoming annoying to me also.

I imagine there will be an update to the carrier settings sooner than later.

But I also have a good imagination.

----------

P.S. Im in Central IL and travel mostly up and down I55 and across I80 daily.

3. MacMonkey13 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on Verizon as well. I turned off the VoLTE and problem solved.

Thanks!

4. mizer420 macrumors newbie

What did you turn your setting to? Did you leave data on? I'm tempted to doing the same.

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I haven't heard of VoLTE being unreliable before.. were you driving around while you were talking or walking to an area with lower coverage?

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, a carrier setting won't fix it. This is a backend network issue. Verizon can fix it by either spending a lot of money to implement Circuit Switched Fallback (which allows LTE calls to fall back to CDMA) or spend a lot of money to build out the LTE network so that its coverage is as dense as the CDMA network.

The money would probably be better spent on the latter one.

7. mizer420, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

mizer420 macrumors newbie

Fortunately Verizon will fix this. And yes a carrier update will fix such issue when they have worked the kinks out. It's in the beta stage now. It's been open to the public for 3 weeks. There are maybe 5 phones that support VoLTE it's just in the beginning stage. This also makes it useless since your only real advantage is the HD call quality when talking to another VoLTE customer on the same network.

Do you still use dialup? No the Internet advanced as well will Verizon's VoLTE.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What do you base this info on? And how do people get on this supposed beta?

Not that it matters to me. I've been using VoLTE on T-Mobile and haven't had a single dropped call there. Their fallback works. :)

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I noticed more calls dropped also with the 6 and 6 plus. I am on T-Mobile and noticed that my LTE setting was "voice and data" so I just turned it to data only. Hopefully that resolves it! Thanks for the tip.

10. mizer420, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

mizer420 macrumors newbie

Verizon. Since you don't have it then it doesn't apply to you here. Verizon has NEVER had VoLTE until the recently. What are you confused about here?

So you want to get on Verizon's VoLTE which is its beginning stage with the public.

Wow.

Go to www.apple.com and order an iPhone 6 or 6+ or one of the 5 or 6 phones that currently support Verizon's VoLTE and activate your phone. Then go to settings>cellular>enable lte>voice & data. Then you will be on Verizon's VoLTE which is in its infancy stage.

You have reminded me why I quite posting on message boards years ago. People have a clear lack of comprehension. Read, listen, listen some more then post.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news...g-soon-to-verizon-wireless4g-lte-network.html

"VoLTE is a standards-based solution that fundamentally changes the way Verizon will carry voice traffic on its network. It is an emerging technology that will work best with scale. Advanced Calling will be available across the nation’s largest 4G LTE network on a number of devices that will become VoLTE-capable with a simple software update."

https://www.google.com/search?q=volte+verizon+dropping+calls&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

http://www.informationweek.com/mobi...zon-volte-hd-voice-coming-soon/d/d-id/1306647

"To access VoLTE, Verizon's smartphone customers will need to update their devices. The update will include Advanced Calling 1.0, the application that powers HD Voice and Video Calling. To connect VoLTE calls, both the caller and the recipient must be on Verizon's LTE network. That means no VoLTE calls from a Verizon phone to an AT&T or T-Mobile phone, at least for now. If one of the Verizon phones wanders out of LTE coverage, the VoLTE call will automatically drop to a standard 3G voice call."

The problem currently is its not automatically dropping to a standard 3G call.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've read and listened and a, fully aware of how VoLTE works, thanks. We were discussing the fact the Verizon currently doesn't fall back VoLTE calls to CDMA and what was require to fix this. You however, made a claim, here, that Verizon is fixing the VoLTE to CDMA fallback issue with a carrier update and that it is in the beta stage, and that Verizon users can opt in. None of the links you've provided support your assertion.

Alpha male tactics don't hide when people make a claim they can't substantiate. Where is this info about a beta carrier file that you claim is available? Or did you just pull that out of thin air?

Perhaps it's best if you went back to not posting in boards like these.

12. mizer420 macrumors newbie

Your high. And not on weed.

I said Verizon will indeed fix this, they have admitted that they currently have no handoff right now and if you travel to turn it off. If you turn VoLTE on you know the risk. When they do fix it you will have to update your carrier file to receive the fix.

Your an idiot and I refuse to discuss with idiots any further. At least you recognize I'm your alpha.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You said "And yes a carrier update will fix such issue when they have worked the kinks out. It's in the beta stage now."

Where is this beta carrier file? That's all I'm asking.

What I recognize is that you don't know what you're talking about, neither about carrier definition files nor about alphas. ;)

P.S.: It's "You're."