Calls to tax junk food gain ground

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 24, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- here we go. Seems the slippery slope argument does apply in certain cases. I knew this was coming. I guarantee this is going to happen soon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-sci-junk-food-tax23-2009aug23,0,7345912.story

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see smoking reduced, the people that want to smoke are willing to pay more, the same with junk food. You can't stop peoples habits by charging more for it.

Just call it what it is, the government wants more money.

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

First Alcohol, then Nicotine, and now Sugar. What's next?

My bet is on meat. The fattier the meat, the higher the tax.:eek:

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. It isn't going to change anybody's behavior. It's about money.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If it gets the fatties to eat a little less, why not?

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I knew of quite a few people who quite smoking because of the cost. These are the pack a day smokers and when they did they math they saw they could have over an extra $1000 of disposable income tax free made them quite.

Extra $1000 straight to the bottom line is a quite a bit of money. It does work. The cost also keeps a lot of people from starting.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I know a lot of smokers and the taxes didn't deter them. Maybe they cut back but they didn't stop.

Personally I think smoking is stupid but those that do it don't seem phased.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, you are correct about that. That's why the gov is now going after junk food. They're actually losing money on cigarette taxes these days. Our own King Daley was upset that cigarette tax revenue was down this past year. I don't really know what he expected.

But again, it's about bringing in money, not changing behavior- at least for the government.

9. philamac macrumors regular

I was gonna say caffeine, but the large companies might lobby against that in fear of office buildings full of drowsy workers.

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

From what I remember it currently cost more in extra health care required directly because of cigarettes than the government gets off taxes. if everyone quite smoking yes tax revenues would drop but medical cost would drop even more so it still a win in the end.

Maybe the tax would be good thing. make the people pay for the extra healthcare cost related to the junk food but on that same token I would would a tax decrease for doing healthy things like exercise. In the end it coudl work out to be win because a healthier population means less money that needs to be spent on health care

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It could, but I doubt it. And I'm wondering what will be next.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Well, we gotta pay for this forthcoming UHC somehow. Can't keep going after the richies forever. I'm guessing this would hit the poorer folks harder since they're the ones more inclined to buy junk food.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The $.61 tax per pack on 1 April is what pushed me over the edge and made me quit. I was a pack and a half a day smoker so I would have been spending over $200 a month on cigarettes.

For me and I think for most people, the extra tax is simply an added incentive to quit. I'm a Cheetos addict and a bag never lasts more than a day in my house. Having a substantial tax on Cheetos wouldn't make me give them up, but it would make me buy a smaller bag.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

However, how would we be guaranteed that these taxes got toward health care? I know the cigarette taxes in Chicago certainly don't.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Bring it on, as long as they don't tax diet sodas. Tortilla chips are easy to make, just some corn tortillas and a fryer.

And I don't want to hear about how diet soda is "light on nutrition" - so is water. Are we going to hike taxes on that, too?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Good thing that no one who makes less than 250k will see their taxes increase.

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't know why you're comparing a campaign promise from Obama to a proposal made by Gov. Paterson and an idea held, but not proposed in any bills) by some members of Congress.

The article is about changing attitudes of the American people. Why would you even mention anything about Obama's platform? :confused:

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is outrageous. First of all, what is the definition of "junk food"? Most people would agree that Cheetos and a snickers bar are junk food. However, I've noticed many of the "energy bars" sold in places like GNC contain just as much sugar.

If the extra tax on junk food went toward reducing the price on healthier foods and making them available to poor people then I'd be more open.

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, then what defines what is a "junk food" and what is not. Is a burger at McDonald's considered junk, while a burger at a fine restaurant is not? Is a Reese's Peanut Nutter cup junk, while fine chocolate is not? Where is the line drawn?

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Besides your anecdotes, do you have anything to base the assertion that increased prices do not decrease tobacco consumption?

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

It works for alcohol, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for tobacco or junk food:

Article

23. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would hate to see the government try to determine what foods are bad enough to tax and which ones get passed over. That would be a lobbying fiasco.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

We used to have a snack tax here in Maryland. The Frito Lay lobby had it quickly abolished.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if consumption of junk food, tocacco, or alcohol add to our healthcare costs, then tax'em.....you want to eat, drink and smoke these things? Fine with me, indulge away, but we have to offset the healthcare costs somehow.