Cambridgeport librarian rejects Dr Seuss books donated by Melania cuz they are "racist propaganda"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jdillings, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

jdillings macrumors 68000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ejects-melania-trumps-gift-of-dr-seuss-books/

She deleted her Twitter account but people took screenshots of her tweets before she deleted them. Guess what kind of books she does like?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even funnier...she posted pictures on her Twitter of her dressed up as Cat in the Hat....a character from a book she claimed was racist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like a complete overreaction to me.

They're just books.

3. jdillings thread starter macrumors 68000

Even more comedy gold...video of this librarian giving a talk on how to teach kids to be social justice warriors:

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

What the librarian did is totally inappropriate. Just accept the books (which by the way have an incredibly high rate of circulation), and if you don’t need them just give them to those who need them as a librarian you should know your local needs much better than the FLOTUS.

5. zin macrumors 6502

So glad I got rid of my television many moons ago. The entertainment value of the news has skyrocketed in recent years because these morons just keep on giving.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

She's a blathering idiot that doesn't belong in a library.

I don't care what her political affiliation is.

I don't care if she's a liberal or a conservative.

She's an idiot.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Exactly. I worked for a few years at a library (in the administration) and although I had no direct veto power, we received several complaints from patrons about this or that item (mainly about Muslim oriented stuff, LGBT books or videos, or because about a political figure) that in their opinion should’ve been removed from the collection.
    When I was involved in the decisional process I was always against the removal of items just because controversial, even if they went completely against what I believe. Heck, the whole purpose of a library and a librarian is to preserve and aid knowledge!

(And Dr. Seuss is a classic, not a cliche’d item)

8. chown33 macrumors 604

9. niploteksi macrumors regular

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree. This seems like a bizarre bit of grandstanding on the part of the librarian. I sympathize with some of her arguments—the discrepancy in available supplies for schools in richer and poorer districts, DeVos' clear lack of authority on education and her drive to privatize schools—but she dilutes her arguments by attacking Dr. Seuss and the First Lady.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

slightly less biased source
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/librarian-rejects-melania-trump-apos-163024126.html
    from her open letter
    http://www.hbook.com/2017/09/blogs/family-reading/dear-mrs-trump/#_

there is more to the librarian than just the knee jerk reaction of saying no to the books. and she is kind of hot :D

12. niploteksi macrumors regular

I watched the video. I think she confuses Nationalism with paternalism based on cultural hierarchies.

Did you watch the clip yourself, and what do you find upsetting about it?

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What the hell? Wow. Even I on the central liberal side of the aisle knows that 1) Dr. Seuss books aren't racist. 2) That all the talk of activism, boycotts, taking a knee, etc. etc. are not appropriate for childern of Seuss reading age.

This person has no business being a librarian.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

You see, DeVos (a person I like as I like poison ivy rash) hasn’t really done anything yet and she really has no power to open or close schools. Of course it might be argued about the indirect impact of the Department of Education. There are thousands of reasons why underprivileged schools are receiving less money. Some are legit, some are not.
    If you have seen “Waiting for Superman” you would know that there is much more in place, and that charter schools could (conditional is mandatory) even be life savers.
    The fact is simple. This librarian - which had a duty to her students - decided to do her form of protest in the most idiotic way: refusing books. Books that she could’ve given to her students, or to other students in need. While I am the first one in line for more fundings to public schools - reason why I was on the financial board of my district for years until last month - her attitude damaged her community. She decided to be an activist rather than a professionist. If she wants to be in politics, she should get in politics. In all of this she (the same person that dressed as the cat in the hat) decided to attack one of the most important authors for exactly the opposite of what he was doing.

16. jdillings thread starter macrumors 68000

More comedy gold from her:

Field Notes: Loud in the Library: Creating Social Activists at School
    http://www.hbook.com/2016/05/using-...-library-creating-social-activists-at-school/

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

my first reaction was "what a retard, bet it's a liberal SJW" and yes while I am right I also bothered reading what she penned.
    giving "books" to EXCELLENT schools is like giving trump 100k, they simply don't need it nor will they notice it, other schools from failing programs would benefit far greater than her school and while it's true you should not kick a gift out here we are talking about it , perhaps this is just like Kolin when he first started sitting/kneeling and few noticed. so in short (like me) she had the wrong delivery to a message that she seems passionate about.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Look, I have no problem in telling you that other schools could’ve benifited more from the same gift. But she refused the gift at the expenses of her own students which DID reach exemplary ratings. Now, are they lucky because they were born in a good ZIP code? Maybe. Still, they were exemplary in their ratings and there is ZERO shame in receiving a gift from the White House for being exemplary.
    Things have also to be put in perspective. We’re talking about books. For children. It’s hardly a matter of life or death for the school. Books that could’ve been easily moved from one school to the other, or from one individual to the other. The truth is that this lady - which proudly receives her salary from that school - put her students and patrons second, which is unacceptable.
    This is NOT at all like Kolin because Kolin didn’t damage anyone. He kneeled but he didn’t stop the game. He didn’t stop his colleagues. He caused some emotions to heat, but he didn’t damage directly anyone. She did. She damaged students that did their job in an excellent way.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then perhaps this SJW wannabe should have simply passed the books on to a school in need, and not been such an ungrateful ****** about it.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I'll disagree because, well it's friday and I am raising my post count :p
    there is no tangible damage she can do to her already excellent kids, kids are already good and she is to a degree opening dialogue about the plight of other kids in lesser schools , her "kids" are privileged with silver spoons while others don't even have a spoon , it was WRONG for her to give it back , instead she should have picked a school in need and forwarded the books there with a note to the WH as to why , she let her feelings get in the way of what she supposedly wants to correct and approached it in the wrong matter, still think she is hot.
    guess we posted about the same time, look up above.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ok, let’s bring the post count up!
    Yes she did tangible damage: she said to her students that merit doesn’t matter. It is not everyday that you receive a gift from the White House, even if you’re in the richest school of the richest schools you might never receive a single ply of toilet paper from the White House. Those kids did what they were supposed to do with the tools they were provided. And they got BOOKS that were given back. By a librarian. Paid to serve THAT school. I am sorry but no; not only it’s not her place to do activism while on the job, not only it’s not her place to manage school and library fundings of the district, but she also did the opposite of what a librarian does (get and manage books). We ALL agree that other schools could’ve had the books. She is a librarian for a school and for some specific kids. Hers was not an act of protest (especially considering the pictures above), her was a pure act of activism (and I bet that if the FLOTUS was Michelle the books would’ve not been returned). Good intentions (which I am not sure she had) do not justify what she did.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Close the pie hole and pass the books on to those schools and libraries that need them.

Now if Mass is like the military only certain people are allowed to accept donations so she may not have had the authority to accept them and judging by this little tantrum she probably shouldn't be in a position to accept donations

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Or even better since it seems that she claims that her area is rich.
    Do a fundraiser: “Silent bid to books donated by the First Lady”, get at least $200/book, donate the money to the school you think deserves it.

24. niploteksi macrumors regular

School has three purposes. Education, indoctrination and storage. Id say from watching that clip she does a good job of implementing Dewey's pragmatic pedagogics. I don't know what's up with her aversion to certain books, though.

For the record, I think the world needs more social justice warriors.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Just not petty ones.