Came out today and admitted to myself I want an iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NumberNine, Jul 24, 2011.

1. NumberNine macrumors regular

I have been considering a tablet for a while and got some time to go to Best Buy today to try a bunch out.

Tried out the HP and a bunch of Android based tabs but in the end I just preferred the iPad. It felt great, ran smooth and I was happy to see how nice the Youtube app was.

I also look forward to iOS 5. I had watched the keynote and was impressed at the new features. I plan on ordering a 16gb, wifi only, in black this week.

Look forward to spending some time here and learning whatever I can.

I am a little confused on Youtube though. Will the Youtube app play anything on Youtube since there is no Flash support? Do videos need to be uploaded in a different format to Youtube to be played on an iOS device?

Maybe I will become a full Apple convert, who knows. :D

2. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Awesome. And yes, the YouTube app plays any video from YouTube.

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

YouTube recognizes what device and/or browser you are surfing with. You can use the app or just go to the .com web address, either works.

Upload video just like normal.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah the YouTube app will play most YouTube videos but the uploader of the video needs to check the box to allow the video to be played on Mobile devices.

[​IMG]

If not you will get this error.

[​IMG]

Also YouTube won't allow any videos which have content ID matches to be played on mobile devices.

Plus the standard YouTube website plays videos now on the iPad without requiring flash this has just changed recently.

6. NumberNine thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick responses. I was confused because of the whole Flash thing.

7. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

This option is checked by default.

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not always, I have uploaded a few videos before and the option hasn't been checked.

10. NumberNine thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, I was not a fan of Apple and I will admit I was misinformed about numerous things.

I never thought I would admit that I wanted to buy an Apple product.

11. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Steves voodoo does that to people.

Just wait, next up- MBA

12. NumberNine thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at them and it's amazing how light they are. I have a desktop I assembled myself which runs great, never had any issues, but I was checking out the iMac's. ;)

13. chriso89 macrumors regular

Buy 32 gb! I had 16 gb and its to little! With the 32 gb you are safe :)

14. vega07 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

LOL. I read the title as the OP coming out the closet which made him realized he wanted an iPad.

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

For you, maybe. Not for everyone.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol... how did your Mom take it?;)

17. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

In the end, its just a tablet. Or an MP3 player, phone, computer, ect. I dont understand why people put up these walls and refuse to buy something they clearly want just to please others.

Like Linux fanboys absolutely hate anything Apple so they're willing to pay anything for subpar products as long as it doesnt bare the Apple logo. Just to please their other Linux fanboy friends. Same goes for Windows fanboys (Which are little. You know the avarage person doesnt even know what an OS is.)

Me? I buy what i want. No matter what anyone thinks. More people should have this attitude about more than just product preference and more people would be much happier. Do what you want, eat what you want, dress like you want, live like you want.

18. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I use my iPad2 for quick browsing, and a few games. It comes in handy. I've found 16GB is far than enough for my usage.

19. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

He was only bi curious about apple before

20. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    We are so glad you have come out, and can enjoy the pleasures of Apple products now. Good choice. I came out a number of years ago. :D

21. BergerFan, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Oh in that case, I kind of agree.
    Before 2007, I had an unexplainable dislike of Apple products. Maybe dislike is too strong a word, but I guess I let the opinion of others influence my own, without trying said products myself.
    This was before I even started visiting tech blogs and sites. My only gadget fix was the Gadget Show, on UK TV, before YouTube got mainstream.
    I had only Nokia feature phones, from 1998(first phone) to early 2008).
    I casually dismissed the iPhone as hype, etc, based purely on people talking about it(I knew nothing of the keynotes, etc).
    Then a friend of mine got one, let me 'have a go' and I was changed forever. :D

In the time since, I've learned-up on the Apple history thing, and I fully get it.
    I can still be rational(sometimes), and can jump ship if any rivals step up to the plate effectively enough, but I have no faith in them doing so, anytime soon. I've had every iPhone, both iPads and I'm soon to get my first Mac, to complete the transition.

22. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

You know...this is interesting to me because I just can't see how the 16gb is a smart buy for anyone.

First of all, if you can't spend $599, you probably have no business spending $499, so price shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Secondly, if you have any desire to load the iPad up with apps (and I suspect that is the one of the main reasons people buy an iPad) then it makes no sense not to pony up for the 32gb.

I would go as far to say that a, minimum, 32gb unit is "for everyone" except someone who is looking to exclusively search the web with minimal apps, photos or music aboard. In my opinion, it's pretty difficult to justify a 16gb iPad purchase unless you are getting a substantial discount via Craigslist or something in the like.

23. vega07 macrumors 65816

Wrong.

24. Chupa Chupa, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, once you get past the childish anti-Apple noise (they make toys, not tools, it's for status seekers and fashionistas, not people that want do real thinks, etc) you'll find Apple product's desirablility is due to nothing less than good design and ease of use (what many anti-Apple call "dumbed down" because it dispenses w/ over-complexity).

That is not to say that everything that Apple does is perfect or that they don't do maddening things, or that many of their products are overpriced (esp. accessories), just that in comparison with competitors, Apple products are usually more satisfying.

Well, turns out you are not omniscient. I know lot of people who are not into piling apps on their iPad and mostly use it for reading books and surfing. Personally I'm comfortable w/ 32gb only, but if you have a limited use for your iPad there is no reason to spend $1 more than necessary. It's not a matter of affordability, it's a matter of not wasting money. Your needs are not necessarily the guy's in front or behind you.

25. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Why should I spend an extra $100 when 16gb is sufficient? That's just silly and a waste of money.
    I keep no music on my iPad, and I only load movies if I actually intend on watching them somewhere (like on an airplane). I have dozens and dozens of apps which I regularly use - games, productivity, remote desktop, etc. I still have quite a bit of space on my iPad leftover.

Sorry, but your logic isn't logical at all.