Camera for new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallGuy1970, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I've seen lots of recent posts and discussions about the new iPhone (iPhone 5, iPhone 6, whatever), but the talk about an improved camera has died down. Have I missed something? Are we no longer expecting an improved camera?

I have an iPhone 4 and was recently playing with my daughter's iPhone 4S. The difference in the cameras is amazing. I know none of us know for sure, I was hoping for another camera improvement in the new iPhone.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Optical zoom would be a killer feature even if only by 2x. That's the only thing I can think of, as the camera is already damn good.

3. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Until they start putting better tech in for the lens and sensors, it's pretty much moot. Increasing the MP's from the average 8 range now is kinda pointless without that updated tech. S3 stuck with 8MP, and I'm sure the iPhone will as well, maybe we'll see little add on's and options (like all the changes you can adjust on the Galaxy cams).

Said it before, love the cam's on my GSII and 4S, their great, but only great for a phone, still no comparison to a decent digi cam even the cheap slim ones. I still find myself using the phone cams more though since it's so convenient and the pics are still very nice.

I think in the next 1-2 years we'll see better sensors and lens for phones and that will really close/negate the gap with digi cams for pretty much anyone except for pro's and more expensive cams.

4. TallGuy1970 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed! An optical zoom would be great, but I don't know if that is a possibility or not. I was impressed with the sensor in the iPhone 4S. I took one picture with my daughter's 4S and the exact same picture 5 seconds later with my 4. The 4S picture was much brighter (picture was a combo of shade and filtered sunlight in my basement) and a had a bit more clarity.

I typically like to take pictures with my Nikon D5100, but it can be a pain to carry around. Having a decent camera in my phone is great for those spur of the moment shots.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I want Apple to focus on the image clarity and shutter speed over pure megapixel count.

I personally don't need a 12 megapixel camera in a phone. As these photos get larger they will obviously consume much more memory on the device. Not a good thing.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yes, the cmos sensor maybe something that can be improved. I don't have the 4S, but I played around with it and it's camera. My car backup camera sees in almost pitch dark with good quality, and I only paid $14 for it shipped from china. So hopefully the next iPhone can do the same.

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

I wish they'd put a better camera on the front of the phone. I was disappointed the 4S had no improvement on the front camera.

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

F 2.2 aperture. 8 MP sensor. That's about it probably.

Lot's of software improvements I bet.

9. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

The camera on the 4S is outstanding. They may increase the white balance and clarity as well as add another lens but apart from that I don't think the camera as a whole will be a lot better. For the front camera..... Hopefully it will be able to record in 720p and take pictures of at least 1.3 megapixels.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

I think they're hitting the limit of hardware that will fit.

Unless, they start offering detachable lenses.

(Disclaimer: Lens adapter sold separately)

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Doesn't sound likely since this requires a physical increase in hardware. Multiple lenses also need depth that is very hard (or impossible) to do in such a slim device. What other phones offer optical zoom?