Camera Orientation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heisenberg123, Oct 4, 2014.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if you take pictures or video in portrait will it go sideways when you send it or upload it?

if you take picture or video in landscape does it matter what button so it will not go upside-down when you send it or upload it?

2. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Looks to be dependent on where you send it looks fine if I sent to a Mac or iPad but when I send to a Windows user its side ways

3. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

It's because apple store the orientation as metadata somewhere ( I presume in EXIF ), rather than storing the actual image rotated. A lot of software ignores the metadata saying what orientation to display it in.

4. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thank so filming video in portrait mode is pretty much pointless if you will send it or upload it?

and you should film horizontally with the home button on the right?

5. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did some testing so people don't have this issue, on a Mac or other iOS device it does not matter but if you send stuff to windows users when in landscape mode make sure your home button is on the right, which is odd because they made volume up a shutter button but if you have the home button on the left everything is upside down in windows

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'll never understand why some people take videos like soccer moms (in portrait mode).

7. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think the more important point is landscape mode only truly works universally if you shoot the picture of video with the home button on the right

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Nothing new about that problem. It's been that way since they added that feature. You have to keep the shutter release on the bottom. :(

The bigger problem is you can't use the onscreen shutter release by holding and then releasing. It will take a burst of shots! You have to tap it to take one shot (jarring the camera). There is no way to gently take one shot. The volume button and now the onscreen release both shake the camera!! :mad:

Yes I know there is now a timer but that really does not solve the problem with candid shots.