Cameras on Cops

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Pretty timely video. It appears the cop attacks the suspect until you see the view from the camera on the cop.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
A video of the event is the best way of determining who did what and when.

Like in this case sometimes you need a different angle, to get the full story/picture.

I would have thought that police over the world would appreciate the help of video to collect evidence.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Cops should be on video every second they're working. It'll keep them on their toes to know their bosses (the taxpayers) are watching. This way when someone pulls out an iPhone to film them, it won't matter to them because they're always wearing a cam on them anyway.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Cops should be on video every second they're working. It'll keep them on their toes to know their bosses (the taxpayers) are watching. This way when someone pulls out an iPhone to film them, it won't matter to them because they're always wearing a cam on them anyway.
May we extend that to politicians?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
May we extend that to politicians?
Politicians' work and non-work hours are a little bit blurred and I'm sure most of the sleazy things they do are discussed at backyard barbeques on weekends rather than in the office on the phone where there's a record of it. Whereas with cops, the majority of their crimes are committed while in uniform.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Politicians' work and non-work hours are a little bit blurred and I'm sure most of the sleazy things they do are discussed at backyard barbeques on weekends rather than in the office on the phone where there's a record of it. Whereas with cops, the majority of their crimes are committed while in uniform.
Good point. 24/7 cameras on politicians, then.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
Good point. 24/7 cameras on politicians, then.
I vote "Yea" on that.
And subject them to random drug and alcohol testing too.
Only 1% of welfare recipients in Tennessee tested positive for drugs. I wonder the percentage of politicians who would have their cocaine addictions exposed if you did that. If only you could somehow test them for extramarital affairs with hookers... :eek:

Also, no drinking within 12 hours of casting votes.
Now let's not be unreasonable. 8 hours should do.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Now let's not be unreasonable. 8 hours should do.
I'd agree to eliminate the timeframe if they had to blow into a breathalyzer before voting. That would be pretty cool...every vote would indicate how each member voted and report their BAC at the time.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I was initially apprehensive about body cams on police. If an officer knows everything he's done will be reviewed every day would it cause them to hesitate rather than react? But now I see that these could be an awesome tool for prosecution. These videos could give the state's attorney better evidence resulting in an advantage in plea bargaining. What defendent is going to go to a jury trial when the video evidence is clear?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I was initially apprehensive about body cams on police. If an officer knows everything he's done will be reviewed every day would it cause them to hesitate rather than react? But now I see that these could be an awesome tool for prosecution. These videos could give the state's attorney better evidence resulting in an advantage in plea bargaining. What defendent is going to go to a jury trial when the video evidence is clear?
Oh you...

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
Splendid, we're all in agreement then.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I knew something like this would happen ... HERE.

They need to make these body cams automatically turn on as soon as an officer steps out the car. Either that or fire an officer for failure to manually turn on in a situation like this.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I knew something like this would happen ... HERE.

They need to make these body cams automatically turn on as soon as an officer steps out the car. Either that or fire an officer for failure to manually turn on in a situation like this.
i would love to know what job you have that if you forgot to do something by accident you would be fired. what happens if a cop sees someone that is being stabbed or raped? you want him to stop and make sure his camera is turned on before he can help? those seconds can be the difference between life and death.

----------

do you know how much this would cost? probably hundreds of millions of dollars.

where would they store all of this video and for how long?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
i would love to know what job you have that if you forgot to do something by accident you would be fired. what happens if a cop sees someone that is being stabbed or raped? you want him to stop and make sure his camera is turned on before he can help? those seconds can be the difference between life and death.

----------

do you know how much this would cost? probably hundreds of millions of dollars.

where would they store all of this video and for how long?

Why do we always have to come up with the least likely scenarios?

Free market baby! There are several companies that offer police departments turnkey solutions for camera and archiving.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
A cop not following protocol of easily(pressing a button twice) is as bad as not securing and/or misplacing their weapon. It should be an automatic evidence tampering charge on the officer if a fatality or injury occurs during a body cam that's off.

In this case, it was a traffic stop. NO EXCUSE!!! It wasn't a situation where an officer witnessed a child kidnapping in progress. With extremely rare situations, it might be understandable. But this was a traffic stop, that officer should be fired.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Why do we always have to come up with the least likely scenarios?

Free market baby! There are several companies that offer police departments turnkey solutions for camera and archiving.
Surely a blue tooth or NFC device could detect when an officer is exiting a car and trigger the recording.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
A cop not following protocol of easily(pressing a button twice) is as bad as not securing and/or misplacing their weapon. It should be an automatic evidence tampering charge on the officer if a fatality or injury occurs during a body cam that's off.

In this case, it was a traffic stop. NO EXCUSE!!! It wasn't a situation where an officer witnessed a child kidnapping in progress. With extremely rare situations, it might be understandable. But this was a traffic stop, that officer should be fired.
that is just ridiculous, what do you do for a living out of curiosity?

----------

Surely a blue tooth or NFC device could detect when an officer is exiting a car and trigger the recording.
are you kidding? now you want to add this to every single police car in the nation? you are talking about billions of dollars, i guess we could just add this to the trillions that Obama is racking up. maybe our great-great-great-grandchildren can pay it off ... or China will just own us.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
that is just ridiculous, what do you do for a living out of curiosity?

How it it ridiculous? Turn the body cam on is a simple request.

I'm not going to tell you what I do now(don't see any relevance). But I am a 10yr veteran, and have experience of following procedure out on the field.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
luckydcxx said:

are you kidding? now you want to add this to every single police car in the nation? you are talking about billions of dollars, i guess we could just add this to the trillions that Obama is racking up. maybe our great-great-great-grandchildren can pay it off ... or China will just own us.
No more expensive than having mobile phones. How many mobile phones do you suppose the people of the US pay for? How much do guns and ammunition cost for the police? How much do you suppose a police APC costs?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
No more expensive than having mobile phones. How many mobile phones do you suppose the people of the US pay for? How much do guns and ammunition cost? APC's?
but guns and ammo are necessary for police, nfc enabled cars are not.