Camino 1.0 beta1 released

bentley

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2005
I'm giving it a whirl.

It's VERY fast. Safari is very sluggish in comparison.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I love it, esspecially the web-advertising block. What a refreshing change to surf the web without all the flashing annoyances. It's fast and simple. I need a browser that bookmarks my pages, loads pages quickly, and is easy to configure. (Not that a web-browser is hard to configure) That's it. I dont need all the features that weigh a browser down. I could see where some people need all the added features of the big-boys, but I have simple needs.
Simply put, I love it.

osiris315

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Valencia, Spain
Have also upgraded to 1.0b1, and looks very nice too.

Camino has been my default browser since i've had my Mac, especially with the CamiSearch add-on! :D

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
does the user now have the ability to spellcheck within camino? That's been the only thing that's kept me from using it up until now.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
WOW!!!

CAMINO SCREAMS! It feels so much faster than Safari for some reason!

I have been using Safari, opting on its stability, elegance and full-featured capabilities...I tried using both Firefox, Omniweb (which is really nice) and Netscape (yuck!)

however, I have to say, Camino looks like something that I will definately be keeping in my dock

[edit] Please, someone tell me that they will have themes...these icons are terrible...especially the font increase/decrease icons

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
qtip919 said:
WOW!!!

I have been using Safari, opting on its stability, elegance and full-featured capabilities...I tried using both Firefox, Omniweb (which is really nice) and Netscape (yuck!)

however, I have to say, Camino looks like something that I will definately be keeping in my dock
its definitely faster than Safari, much so, and just as stable, its not as feature rich at this point, i wouldn't mind RSS support at some point, but a spell check is all that i would like, and the dictionary service as well. it is built from the groud up to be an OS X app after all...

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
qtip919 said:
WOW!!!

[edit] Please, someone tell me that they will have themes...these icons are terrible...especially the font increase/decrease icons
CaminIcon is what you're looking for.

If you want Camino to be REALLY fast (and are on a G4), check out krmathis's optimized build of 1.0b1.

Also, in case anybody's interested, here's a piece I wrote about why I like Camino so much.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Nope, no spellcheck yet, although as far as I can tell they've at least functionally worked around the slow-text input bug (actually, it was ok in 1.0a, too), so that's enough to make me happy for now. Also as far as I can tell the issue with overlapping Japanese text input in single-line textboxes is also fixed, though I haven't tested it thoroughly.

I do wish they'd get some internationalization into 1.0b, though. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it now.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
PlaceofDis said:
its definitely faster than Safari, much so, and just as stable, its not as feature rich at this point, i wouldn't mind RSS support at some point, but a spell check is all that i would like, and the dictionary service as well. it is built from the groud up to be an OS X app after all...
Unfortunately the Spell check and dictionary lookup are non-trivial additions. To get them, Camino has to use native text widgets in its rendering, as opposed to its built-in ones. Using native widgets means that you lose a lot of CSS capability. The Camino devs aren't willing to do that, since they want to support the gamut of the CSS specifications.

Rumor on the dev mailing list for Mozilla is that the Safari devs are realizing the limitations of the native OSX widgets, and are going to move away from them in the future. Perhaps this means a more API-agnostic dictionary and spelling service.

Jim

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I need my RSS Reader abilities of Safari. I love having my RSS feeds in a folder on my Menu Bar. =\

I've tried Opera, FireFox, and Shiira.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I started to ''switch" to Camino but i saw that i real do like FireFox, it supported for most web pages and i can have people who use PC atleast use FF

so in the end im staying with FF

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
zap2 said:
I started to ''switch" to Camino but i saw that i real do like FireFox, it supported for most web pages and i can have people who use PC atleast use FF

so in the end im staying with FF
Just so you know Camino and FF both run on the Gecko rendering engine, so any page that renders in FF will be supported by Camino as well. :)

Each to their own, though. :)

Dm84

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Allston, MA
I find that Camino and Distiller don't play well together (the output from the resulting PDFs look terrible), while Firefox works fine with Distiller.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I have used Camino a few times in the past but it never made me want to leave Safari. This new version though is very impressive. Its speed and unique options are a real plus over any browser.

Leonida

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
Milano, It
This Camino is impressive fast, but I need FireFox extension.
I leave Safari long time ago as yet cant support wysisyg web editor like Epoz/Kupu in Plone or phpbased like in Moodle.

I wish that Camino could have FF extensions, I can't miss somenone like Bookmark syncronizer, BBCodeEXtra, Translation panel, and RSS feed reader.

P.S.
Leonida said:
Sorry, site is down for the next 7 hours, (till about 8 am. CET [UTC + 1]).
Now server is up.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Linksgolfer84 said:
Just a quick question... Why do you need a spell-checker in your browser? I've never run across a situation where I did.
For catching typos while composing forum posts?

If you use Safari, try setting "Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling as You Type". Then control-click (right-click) on an underlined misspelled word to bring up a menu with suggested corrections, and "Lookup Up in Dictionary" in that shortcut menu can also be useful.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
To post in forums, silly. :p I use FF too, and a program called SpellBound. Safari's nice and all, but the absence of a Go button makes me use it less.