Campus Conservatives Gave the Alt-Right a Platform

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

This article is spot on. Conservatives should never have embraced Milo Yiannopoulos. As a Conservative it drives me nuts that the movement seems to no longer care about ideas and principles and only cares about trolling and making Liberal heads explode.

http://amp.nationalreview.com/artic...yiannopoulos-charlottesville-terrorist-attack

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That does seem to be what the party has become. But I don't understand why, and why they don't want to strive for more any longer.

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I would have never taken you for a conservative from what you type here.

I agree with you though. The right seems to be much more interested in making the left raged than they are in doing the right thing and what they believe in.

4. linuxcooldude, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Another news article which reminds me of the one the OP posted, by the leanings of the Alt-left is which fuels the Alt-Right, not the average conservative.

https://www.hermancain.com/how-the-alt-left-not-trump-is-fueling-the

And to what the OP quoted, just because they knew the left has a problem with Milo, does not mean we should suppress free speech and his right to speak. Its up to the SJW to behave themselves and have a civil discussion.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

And I'll raise you a George Soros funding of the DNC. Which also fuels the SJW/Alt-Right. ( I call ) So what. Many influential people back their own political agendas. As I've said before, the average conservative doesn't align with the fringe right/Alt-Right.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

George Soros has become one of the ultimate bogeyman for some, hasn't he?
    Funny how he's more hated that Nazis, or Confederates, or skinheads, or Klansmen by many right-wingers.

But what does Soros have to with Richard Spencer and his ilk? Or with the rise of white nationalism?

8. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I place the average conservatives, even most Democrats ( even though more on the left ) somewhere in the center. To associate White nationalists with average conservatives is nowhere near what they believe or support.

I think it is because we hear/see way more involvement in pollotics of the DNC and George Soro's than White Nationalists. The White Nationalists may have an occasional rally every few years, like the one held recently. I don't keep up with what white nationalists do in any case. Usually when the crop in the news.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you listen/watch largely to certain conservative media outlets, then yes, you will hear/see more about the big bad DNC and George Soros, because you're being influenced largely by that media bubble.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps his essential Jewishness? The final insult. Jesus was a White Man.

11. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Um, No. Believe it or not, on a few occasions I watch MSNBC, ( Don't like Rachel Maddow ) to see whats on in the left. But when I watch them I take it more with a grain of salt than with Fox News.

12. jerwin macrumors 65816

For one thing, Soros really really likes Karl Popper, and the "Open Society".

And Richard Spencer says stuff like this:

source, for what it's worth.

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

It’s really sad. Trump is accomplishing nothing but that’s a-ok with his supporters because he calls CNN fake news on Twitter. smh

14. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Even CNN had recent firings just over fake news that proved to be the case.

15. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Because the conservative movement and Republican Party have been hijakced by Trump, populists and alt-right clowns. It’s not about conservatism anymore it’s about identity politics and becoming what they once abhorred. I want no part of it. And I certainly want no part of the Left either. So I’m basically homeless right now.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 ---
    Like Fox News and the Seth Rich nonsense. I’m not here to defend CNN (Jim Acosta is no journalist and should be fired). But Trump is President of the United States. He needs to quit whining, quit acting like child and quit punching down. He doesn’t have to respond to every perceived slight or every time someone says something about him that’s not nice. Get over it and do your job (which shouldn’t include watching cable news and tweeting).

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I want as accurate news as I can find. If no one is going to point out fake, who is? Whether it is Trump or otherwise. I think its Trump who brought fake news to the forefront. Many people are starting to ask if the news they are watching is fake or not. Thats a good thing.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think to some degree the media is to blame for the rise of the alt-right. I don't think anyone would have known who they were if the media didn't obsess over them in the 2016 election. I don't think the official alt-right party was nearly as significant as they made it out to be. The attention the legitimized the alt-right as a faction.

Additionally, let's be honest, the progressive left also by aggressively/inappropriately/recklessly pushing the idea of "white male privilege" has made some white men think about their priveldge, but also pushed a lot of men to defend themselves and align with an alt-right ideology, or similar. (I'm not saying the concept of white male privilege is somehow not true, men, especially white men, do have societal benefits. I'm just saying it's easy for people to get offended if careful approach is neglected.)

Trump incorporating supposed alt-right people into his administration further legitimized the party.

I really don't know much about Milo, that he is alt-right and that he not. Seems hard for me to see him fitting the alt-right mold as a gay catholic with Jewish heritage. Or maybe the term alt-right isn't exactly well defined.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Please... Confusion and ignorance is never "a good thing."

Trump's fake news is doublespeak, is you have ever read "1984" (and if not, you should.)

19. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Is it ignorance to deny the main media collusion? ( WikiLeaks ) That fake news doesn't happen? ( CNN/Project Veritas ) Denying facts is ignorance.

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Which is why it is time for a legitimate third party to rise up. I think enough people feel this way to support one. I would like to see Evan McMullin form a new third party. I would strongly consider voting for him. The problem would be congress. I'm not sure how that two party logjam gets broken.

Tell me, do you ever ask yourself if what Trump is saying is fake or not? It's rather funny and more than a bit sad that you would trust a man who habitually lies over news sources that make their living trying to get things right and get called out for it when they don't.

21. jerwin macrumors 65816

Some people (possibly including Trump) believe that conservatism is liberalism's opposite. In that respect, fascism does a "better" job. An idiot would learn from, and borrow elements from fascism to redefine conservatism.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

American Conservatives supporting a Nazi and a Paedophile apologist.

Who have thunk it :rolleyes:

23. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I voted for Evan but he turned me off when he became obsessed and hyperbolic over Russia. Basically he didn’t tweet about anything but Russia and hardly ever called out the Left or Democrats for anything. It is clear he gets huge likes and re-tweets from people on the Left and that’s all he cared about now. Honestly I wish people like Ben Sasse, Marco Rubio, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley would form a 3rd party. A real Conservative party not obsessed about nationalism and identity politics. I would join that party.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    A lot haven’t, but too many did under the guise of free speech. And also because they wrongly thought this was the way to attract young people to the party (because he was young, edgy and not PC and would make a ruckus on college campuses).

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The "party of no" happened. Purity, zealotry can become addictive, especially if one senses uncertainty afoot.

Look at what happened to the Republican Party in the time Barack Obama was in office. They didn't start out as the party of no upon his inauguration. They had a mission to become that, per their Senate minority leadership and the decisions of some House members on that very night. But the party itself still had some moderates.

And, it does again have what passes for a handful, maybe more than a handful of almost-moderates in the 115th Congress, thanks to Trump and the antics of the far right during the summer's health care hassle. Those guys on the very far right may have taken it too far this time, who knows.

The problem in the party now inside Congress is the leadership and their fear of losing seats if they negotiate rather than issue law by fiat. In Obama's first two years they got to do No, No, No, [amendments: Maybe, Maybe] and a resounding if insufficient NO at the end. But then came the midterms, and a majority win. So then they got to do No, No, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO for six years.

Rule One: Say NO. Rule Two: [crickets]

The problem out in the wild for younger conservatives is their massive jones built up on the fun of the left's frustrated responses to all that NO in the past six years -- it's addictive to watch liberal heads spin-- and meanwhile they had few or no parallels to the responsibilities that a Congress critter did have to his oath of office past what his constituents thought they wanted.

Add the other ingredient the Congress itself so far mostly abstains from: social media run amok. It's even more fun to troll liberal heads en masse.

That the right now runs a majority government entirely? Does not change any of that.

The far right kids and more than a few of their elders are still addicted to NO while while the GOP is now charged with driving the bus. Weird stuff happens when you drive with the brakes on. You can get high on the smell of burning rubber and stop caring where you're going.

25. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

You keep mentioning fake news but repeatedly fail to include Fox News. Your bias is showing.