Can’t get Printer Sharing to work….

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ben1l, May 17, 2008.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

Hi all…

I have an iMac (2gh Intel Core Duo) which I connect via USB to my printer (HP PSC 1500) when I go to print like this everything works fine. The problem is when I go to print from my MacBook Pro (2.4gh Intel Core 2 Due) wirelessly via my home network. I have turned on printer sharing on both machines and have the printer drivers installed on both as well.
    When I got to print, I get the printer queue window open. It looks as though it’s trying to print and then I get this error message…
    “Fatal: opening printer connection failed, unable to open the printer connection, please check the printer connection and check the printer for errors”
    The status of the printer then goes back to ready but nothing has printed.
    Both machines are connected wirelessly to an AirPort Extreme Base Station.
    Any ideas of how to get this working would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. You only want to turn on printer sharing on the mac that has the printer connected to it.

2. When you installed the driver on the MBP, did you add the printer to your list? You don't want to do this. If you have, delete it. Your shared printer should show up automatically.

3. Open Activity monitor and see if the "HP Communications" driver is in red and taking over your cpu (high cpu usage). If so, kill it. I've seen this before as HP driver support su..ks.

3. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the advice, i followed your instructions to the letter and ran a few tests. The MBP prints fine from MS Word, but whenever I go to print a web page in Safari for example it Quits and I get the following error message...

"The application Safari quit unexpectedly. The problem may have been caused by the hp_aio_print2_pde Plug-in"

any ideas?

Thanks again

4. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

ahh, pretty much every program i go to print from crashes.... i get the same error message...

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You can try removing the plug-in, but don't delete it. Just move it to your desktop in case this is not the cause of Safari crashing, so you will be able to move it back. It is located in /Library/Printers/hp/aio/hp_aio_print2_pde.plugin.

Reboot.

Then try printing from Safari again (and test your other apps as well).

6. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

yeh that seems t have gotten it working... at the moment that plugin is on my desktop, can i just dump it out of sight somewhere else and not worry about it? might i ever need it in the future.

thanks for your help!!!

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Did you try printing from your other apps as well? If all is ok, you can dump the plug-in.

Worst case, you could always use the hp uninstaller and then reinstall again if you need it in the future.

8. Ben1l thread starter macrumors regular

yeh i tried printing from every app that you can print from. Looks like its working perfectly.

I think i can live with maybe needing to reinstall the driver!

thats made life a lot easier!

9. paulbennett macrumors newbie

same but different problem

Hi, I am also running into this error. However, I don't have an HP folder in my Library/Printers folder containing the file. In fact, when I search for hp_aio_print2_pde plug-in in my finder, I don't see it anywhere. Any ideas?

I'm on a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo Macbook running 10.5.5

10. futureone macrumors newbie

SAME PROBLEM. any insights?

SAME PROBLEM here...any insights on fixing this?

11. TechAge macrumors newbie

Try doing a Software Update and see if you can install the printer driver.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Are you looking in the right Library folder? It's the main one under your hard drive, not your local user's Library folder, ie. /Library not ~/Library

Edit: I just searched my own drive and it's at /Library/Printers/hp/aio/hp_aio_print2_pde.plugin

13. futureone macrumors newbie

hp 7200 won't work

i have a new macbook pro and a hp7200 printer. it worked but then stopped. i connect on airport express wirelessly, the printer shows up but won't print in any application. i had downloaded and tried the full 7200 software and that is when the problem started. i dumper the drives and software, cleaned out the library and restarted. the printer shows up automatically but no printing.