Can’t watch streaming tv or movies in larger screen on some websites.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by srowndedbyh2o, May 11, 2009.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

My wife loves to watch Thai movies and tv shows online. Unfortunately we have had to settle for watching everything in very small windows, as the “full size” options never work. I assume this is because these websites are set up for windows. We currently need to use Flip4Mac to watch these sites. We are using Safari as our browser. Any one have any idea if we would have better luck with another browser, or another video player? I could just install different browsers and video players and try them out, but I was hoping someone may be able to point us in the right direction so we don’t have to install, then try and un-install a bunch of stuff, and I certainly don’t want to install windows!
    Thanks!

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Give me the links to the websites, I'll try it out for you and report back if another browser will do the trick. I have more than one installed, and a multitude of video players.

3. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the offer Insulin Junkie, but the sites we are using are Subscription based. Just in case you want to take a look anyway, or if someone out there uses one of these, or a similar site, here are two we use: http://www.dootv.tv and http://www2.thaitv.tv
    Oh, and when I have contacted the sites in question, the response is “we don’t know anything about Apple computers”.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Ah, crud. Couldn't find any trailers I could try for free either. Sorry I can't help you, but good luck anyway! It really doesn't take a lot to install a new browser so if I was you I'd try that. If you haven't already, try VLC as a video player, and Firefox as a browser. I'm sure it can't be the operating system's fault, because I never heard of a full screen option that 'only works on windows', I don't even see how that'd be possible!

5. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for taking a look. The first site listed plays the movies just fine with Flip4Mac, but as I said, it only plays in a small window. When I click on the “Full Size” button, nothing happens. On the second site listed, when I click on one of the larger window buttons (there are 4 size options), a slightly larger window opens (but not full size), however the window remains blank and I can’t get anything to play at all, large or small.
    I guess I will try VLC and see what happens. If that does nothing, then I’ll try another browser, starting with Firefox as you suggest.

6. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I’d post an update as I’ve found a solution.
    These websites are really set up for Windows users, and just don’t like QuickTime or Flip4Mac. I finally found out that I could not use Flip4Mac, and what I needed to do was download Windows Media Player 9. Then I had to go into the preferences of Flip4Mac and uncheck “Use Flip4Mac WMV Browser plug-in”. Then when I launch a movie on one of these websites, a window opens saying “Safari can’t display content on this Page”. I then click “OK” and WMP9 opens and plays the movie. It’s a real pain in the a** to go through all that just to watch a movie on one of these websites, especially since I use QT and Flip4Mac for everything else, so I just created a new User Account that was set up just for these websites, and left my main User Account set up to use Flip4Mac.

7. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well. That lasted for one day. Today when I go to the websites to watch movies, they no longer work. WMP does not launch anymore, and no movies will play:( I have no idea why it would work only for one day:confused: