Can’t watch video on Apple website.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by srowndedbyh2o, Jun 8, 2011.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

I went to Apples homepage to watch the keynote from WWDC 2011, however it won’t play. Then I notice on the bottom of the page it says it requires Snow Leopard to play (I’m running OS X 10.5.8). Are you kidding me? I can’t even watch a video on Apples own website with my Apple computer without paying for an upgrade? Is this for real :confused:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I can't post the links here but you can look at some file sharing sites (i.e. torrents), they have it in .mp4 and other formats. This might be illegal but at least I see no moral issue with this.

3. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Are you running flashblock or some other extensions that could be causing your problems. I've been able to view it on my XP work laptop through Chrome, FF, Safari and IE, I really doubt it can't be viewed in Leopard.

4. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

From Apples website:
    "Streaming video requires Safari 4 or 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Safari on iOS 3 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows".
    I can watch the video on my other computer running OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard, but not on my computer running OS X 10.5 Leopard. Seems odd to me. I can view the old (2010) keynote, with my computer running Leopard, but not the most resent video.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Well you can't upgrade to Lion without having SL, maybe they don't want to tease you?:rolleyes:

6. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

...:):):)

7. teleromeo, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I have the same problem so I waited until the podcast became available. You can either download the podcast or view it in iTunes.
    It's a shame apple wants us to upgrade all the time. Leopard is fine for me and I don't want to upgrade because I fear some applications I use will no longer work.

EDIT :

I just found out it also plays in Firefox on Leopard ...

8. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

What?! :eek:

That IS crazy not being able to watch a video on Leopard. I could understand not being able to view it on Tiger but Leopard? Are you serious?

That is a bit odd. Yes I know technology changes but the OP could just go to Youtube and watch any streaming video on there and all you need is an up to date browser and Flash player installed.

Hmm. Don't know where I sit with this one.