Can´t login with my user account, with other accounts runs slow and then freezes.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ElViejo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ElViejo macrumors newbie

Hi. I need some help.

My 2 and a half years old Mac Pro 8 cores with OS X 10.5 was running quite slowly and re-booted randomly, so I decided to reset the PMU by pressing that little grey button on the mainboard.

For a week or two, everything was fine, but today suddenly I noticed that the machine was slow at startup and just couldn´t login with my user account: after entering my password, a blue screen appeared and I heard the disks working, but then returned to the username/password screen. I tried to use the guest user account and other account with administrator privileges, and they worked for a few minutes, although the machine was slow and finally it froze down. I was able to move the cursor around the screen, but nothing else.

Are the PMU problem and this issue related or it´s just a coincidence?

I managed to check the start-up disk with the disk utility , and it said it was OK. I tried to startup in safe mode and it didn´t help. What else can I do? Run the hardware test with the OS disc? Fresh OS reinstall?----> And if I do a fresh reinstall of the OS, am I going to keep everything I have in the other non-system disks which I run in a RAID 0 setup?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

My feeling is that it's *not* software (OS or your accounts) related. But to be sure, do you have a spare drive you could use to install a fresh copy of the OS and see if the computer works fine then?

Loa

3. ElViejo thread starter macrumors newbie

I´ve asked a few IT guys about the issue and all of them agree with you. It seems a hard disk problem, they say.

I´m gonna buy a new disk to make a fresh installation and see what happens.

I suppose any modern SATA III will work (and outperform the original disk), right?

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Could be hardware too, as in the mac pro itself. So if a fresh install (not a copy) on a new disk doesn't solve your issues, then its the machine itself that has an issue.

Yes, and not necessarily.

Loa

5. ElViejo thread starter macrumors newbie

I´ve checked it and I was using a Seagate Barracuda ST3250.
    3Gb/s, 7200 rpm, Cache 16 Mb, 78 Mb/s max sustained bitrate.

I´m not very familiarized with the HDD market, so I don´t know if a reasonabily priced new HDD can outperform that. I´ve heard that those eco-friendly "WD Caviar Green" are cheap and look great on paper, but are not very recommendable.

6. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Most current drives will beat that, but I'm sure just much you're going to see real world differences.

I wouldn't recommend caviar greens as a main or system drive: they're not designed for that. On the other hand I own 8 of them (six 2TB, and two 3TB) and I absolutely love them. But I use them to store data (music, photos, videos...), not my OS.

For a main/ OS drive, I'd go with a Caviar Black, which are among the fastest "regular" drives. Of course, if you want more power, you have two main options: RAID0 with mechanical drives, or a SSD. SSDs are in a wholly different budget class, but they're also in a wholly different level of performance.

Loa

P.S. No, I do not have 18TB of data! All six of the 2TB ones are for back-ups! :-D

7. ElViejo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for the record: after a new disc and a fresh install, the machine is running again. I don´t know if it´s for the new installation or because the old disc was messed up, but it´s working.

Thanks Loa for the help.

I´ll try to fix the old drive it if it´s possible, but I don´t know what diagnose software could be useful for this.

8. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

I saw the same behavior when my main HDD was dying. Thats where I would put my money.

As someone said before, green drives don't make good system drives since they are optimized for energy efficiency and they sacrifice speed to do that.