Can´t Plug in any USB Flash Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jesus I, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Jesus I macrumors member

Jesus I

I am almost a 1 year mac user, and just now I got my first serious mac problem. Lol.

When I plug in a USB Flash Memory, it instantly pop up a message that says I need to restart my computer, by letting the power button presed for a while or pressing the restart button (Which I dont have). It has a 0/1 button-like image on it.

At first I thought my USB had a virus or some corrupt file, but when I realized there were no mac files (Just Windows and universal), I pluged in another USB, and the same thing happened.

Funny that, that doesn't happens when I plug my iPhone 3G, I can actually sincronize and do stuff all right.

Hope someone knows the problem and can help. Thanks.

:apple:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's lucky you're almost a 1-year Mac user, because it means your computer (if it's new) is still under warranty. What you're seeing is called a kernel panic, and is usually caused by a hardware fault.

Still, it can also be a software issue. I want you to try a few things for me.

1) Connect the drive while the Mac is off, then turn it on. Do you get a panic? Can you access it normally?
    2) Remove the drive again. On startup, hold the option key from when the startup chime sounds until a menu appears on your screen. Insert your drive. Do you get a panic?
    3) Remove the drive and start the computer normally. Insert the restore disk that came with your computer. Restart, holding the C key from when the startup chime sounds until the Apple logo appears. Once the OS X installer has opened, plug in your drive. Do you get a panic?

Edit: Try mkrishnan's suggestion first, though, who seems to know something I don't.

4. Jesus I thread starter macrumors member

Jesus I

Yes, actually, I remembered (Is this word right?) that this last friday I installed some file (I dont really know what was it) from the Apple developer webpage, so I can enter DFU Mode on a iPhone 3G, and then Jailbreak it. And it worked all right.

Here is what the QuickPWN webpage says:

So I need to install this package "IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.dmg"?

1) Connect the drive while the Mac is off, then turn it on. Do you get a panic? Can you access it normally?

Yes.

2) Remove the drive again. On startup, hold the option key from when the startup chime sounds until a menu appears on your screen. Insert your drive. Do you get a panic?

Yes.

3) Remove the drive and start the computer normally. Insert the restore disk that came with your computer. Restart, holding the C key from when the startup chime sounds until the Apple logo appears. Once the OS X installer has opened, plug in your drive. Do you get a panic?

No.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The "yes" to 1) and 2), is that yes you do get a panic?

6. Jesus I thread starter macrumors member

Jesus I

^
    Oh sorry, forgot the second question on number 1.

Yes, I get a kernel panic.

EDIT: By the way, here is a photo of the message:

[​IMG]

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then you have a hardware problem and should make use of your warranty.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you take a look at the thread I linked? The people in that thread also get panics, as far as I understand, under those same circumstances, and it's pretty clearly attributed as a Leopard software issue (the likelihood of which is significantly increased by the fact that installing the DMG file from the dev website seems to solve it).

I would at least try that IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.dmg package before writing it off as bad hardware. Takes a lot less time to install one package than it does to send your Mac back in and then receive a new one that might do the same thing. ;)

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. Unless I'm misreading that thread, the package isn't a firmware update. Since the problem persists even in the bootloader, it cannot be a software issue.

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

You are having this problem because of the file you installed to be able to jailbreak your iPhone. As far as I know, you have to reinstall Mac OS X to fix the problem. It is not hardware related.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I see what you're saying, possibly. It depends on how soon that panic occurs after boot -- while the grey screen is up, that's not all boot loader. OS X is running for most of that time -- it just hasn't gone graphical yet.

I still think it's worth trying the installation first to see. It's a simple fix, and if there's a possibility it solves the problem, one might as well.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's true. I assumed the OP's response to mean that the kernel panic occurred while the boot loader was active, but if the photo is from that option rather than #1, the panic doesn't occur until after the startup disk is selected. In that case, I'd have a strong suspicion that it is in fact a software issue.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

The exact same thing happened to me when I installed that stuff for iPhone jailbreaking (on 10.5.6). USB stick = instant kernal panic. It's software.

14. Jesus I thread starter macrumors member

Jesus I

Cant find the IOUSBFamily-327.4.0.dmg on the Apple Developer webpage, I will search in google, can anyone knows where can I found it?

15. Jesus I thread starter macrumors member

Jesus I

Well, already searched in Google and in the Apple Developer's webpage, can someone please help me find the file?

Thanks!

16. hsleiman macrumors regular

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html

Download the first thing on the page. Open the dmg and install the pkg that does not say "log" in the file name. Restart. Should be good after that.

Had the same problem earlier today when I got my new flash drive in the mail and I had recently jailbroken my iPhone so I had the 10.5.5 usb files. This worked for me.

17. Jesus I thread starter macrumors member

Jesus I

18. hnic357 macrumors newbie

Can't get the file

I registered as an ADC and still can't download this file. Can someone email it to me? hnic357@gmail.com. I'd appreciate it.