Resolved Can‘t install 4.3 beta on S0

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MandiMac, Mar 2, 2018.

1. MandiMac macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I downloaded the profile earlier today. iPhone 8+ is on 11.3b3 and Watch Series 0 is on 4.2.3 - refuses to update. No matter what, I restarted and unpaired and even set up as new - nothing helped. Is it possible 4.3 isn‘t compatible with S0?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

3. MandiMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

5 Ghz all the way

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is why you are having problems. Apple Watch can't connect to 5Ghz. You need to be using 2.4 Ghz to do your setup.

Give the 2.4 Ghz a different name from the 5Ghz on your router, and you should be able to connect to the 2.4 Ghz

5. MandiMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Highly doubt that, I always had a connection with 5 GHz :/ Just tried it with 2.4, didn‘t work either. Gonna restart iPhone and Watch now!

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The Apple Watch Series 0 does not have a 5Ghz chip inside. Hence it cannot connect to the 5Ghz channel.

7. MandiMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weird, I could swear I was having WiFi today on AW. Maybe because the iPhone was in range? Still in the process of forgetting the 5 GHz WiFi and making sure AW is connecting to the 2.4 GHz. One question though; I‘m searching for the update via iPhone. Why does it matter that the AW is connected to the WiFi? I have had this setup for years, and following this logic, I would never have been able to update my Watch in any way, right?

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Per Apple, the Apple Watch needs to be connected to Wifi and plugged in to update. Some users have reported that they were able to update without being plugged in, by removing the watch from the charger once the update started. Your mileage may vary.

9. MandiMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I get it, this is for the installation itself. For me it doesn‘t even find the 4.3 beta - see attached image. And the 5 GHz WiFi never was a problem before, I guess it did proxy over the iPhone all the time.

For info, 2.4 GHz does not work as well. :(

Attached Files:

10. KrisLord macrumors 68000

Is it definitely the watch profile you’ve installed?

For some silly reason, you can get the phone profile and it’ll ask if you want to install it on the watch...

Edit: it looks like this when installed properly

[​IMG]

11. MandiMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are on to something. Mine is called iOS Beta Profile o_O Do I get the watchOS Profile on beta.apple.com as well? I find only macOS, iOS and tvOS
    --- Post Merged, Mar 2, 2018 ---
    For everyone: I do not have a paid Developer account, only a free one. That‘s why I don‘t get the AW beta Profile it seems :) Thank you for the help!

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Pony up the $100 and you can install. ;)

Glad the mystery has been solved.

Where do I send my invoice?

13. KrisLord macrumors 68000

A quick google and you should find the developer profile you need.

The main reason given for no public beta is that you can’t revert back to a previous release (ie leave the beta) once your in.

So if you get 4.3, you’re on the beta releases until it’s released to the public. Only then can you stop getting beta releases.