iPad Can’t connect to Time Capsule from Files app in iOS 13

ahwman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Has anyone been successful in connecting to an Apple Time Capsule via the files app in iOS 13? I’m able to create the SMB connection, however when I try to browse the drive it says “Loading” but never displays files or folders...

casperes1996

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Has anyone been successful in connecting to an Apple Time Capsule via the files app in iOS 13? I’m able to create the SMB connection, however when I try to browse the drive it says “Loading” but never displays files or folders...
I've done it with no issues. But it's been a bit hit and miss from beta to beta. Haven't tested any of the more recent

casperes1996

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for the info. I’m on iOS 13.1 beta 3. I’ll test again with beta 4...

For what it's worth I just tested on the latest 13.1 on my iPad as of writing. "Operation not supported". I'll add that my Time Capsule uses the Apple File Protocol, so maybe it's not meant to work, and it wasn't meant to be an end-product feature when it did work in a previous beta.

Carlos51

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2017
Argentina
For what it's worth I just tested on the latest 13.1 on my iPad as of writing. "Operation not supported". I'll add that my Time Capsule uses the Apple File Protocol, so maybe it's not meant to work, and it wasn't meant to be an end-product feature when it did work in a previous beta.
Hi,
I have an Airport Extreme to which my Mac Mini is connected.
All the apps I have on my iPhone can connect to both using smb protocol, except for the files app bundled with IOS 13 GM.
Airport Extreme seems to be a no go with Files app but I could succeed connecting to my Mac mini.
smb://Mac-mini-de-XXXXX.local is the server address (My language is Spanish so your Mac's name might differ. XXXX is my name).
The login credentials were those of my Mac Mini.
So I can browse all my Mac Mini using the Files app on my iPhone.
With Airport Extreme I have tried all syntaxes getting all type of error messages. The closest I got was using smb://10.0.1.1 but upon login I cannot see the shares (empty screen).
Regards,
Carlos

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have an Airport Extreme to which my Mac Mini is connected.
All the apps I have can connect to both using smb protocol, except for my iPhone with IOS 13 GM.
Airport Extreme seems to be a no go with Files app but I could succeed connecting to my Mac mini.
smb://Mac-mini-de-Carlos.local is the server address (My language is Spanish so your Mac's name might differ).
The login credentials were those of my Mac Mini.
So I can browse all my Mac Mini using the Files app on my iPhone.
With Airport Extreme I have tried all syntaxes getting all type of error messages. The closest I got was using smb://10.0.1.1 but upon login I cannot see the shares (empty screen).
Regards,
Carlos

Hm. No matter what I try, I get the exact same error message, trying to connect to the AirPort Time Capsule. "Operation Not Supported". But thanks for your input.

Works on all other devices of course.

kerouack

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2015
Same problem, with apps like Infuse or Documents by reedle I can connect to my shared hd in the airport, but I can not with the files app in iOS 13.

Klatti

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Germany
Same problem, with apps like Infuse or Documents by reedle I can connect to my shared hd in the airport, but I can not with the files app in iOS 13.
What a bummer. I was really looking forward to access my data on the TimeCapsule with the native files app

Carlos51

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2017
Argentina
Hi,
I gave iPadOS 13.1 beta 4 a try. Same problem remains.
I can access my Mac mini but connection to shared drives in my AirPort Extreme is a no go.
All my other file manager apps, like FileExplorer/FileBrowser Biz/Documents/Infuse, work fine with my home network.
Apple should copy/paste de code used by them. It should not be that hard.
Carlos

RMLPSP

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2019
Even after the release of IOS 13.1.2 I am still having problems with this issue. I have an Time Capsule and can access the files on the disk via Reddle, but not the Files app. I have tried everything. Any updates?

The Man

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2004
Even after the release of IOS 13.1.2 I am still having problems with this issue. I have an Time Capsule and can access the files on the disk via Reddle, but not the Files app. I have tried everything. Any updates?
iPadOS can only connect to SMB v2. Time Capsule uses earlier protocol. Bummer. Was also looking forward to it.