Can’t install Beta 3 — first stage install skips directly to reboot

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
so, I’ve been trying to upgrade to Beta 3. When I run the installer, it starts to copy the install files over and says it will take about 8 minutes, then a few moments later, it asks to restart.

When I restart, it just hangs. Rebooting let’s me book back to the previous version with no changes made.

Anyone know how to fix this?

FelixII

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Did you try a second time? My first stage went also very quickly. After the restart, it took around 30 minutes to install the update.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Did you try a second time? My first stage went also very quickly. After the restart, it took around 30 minutes to install the update.
Tried it multiple times.. even tried with the release version.. never does anything but shows 8 minutes remaining, then about 10 seconds later, it offers to reboot. Then, I just get a blank black screen.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
What do you mean by it just hangs? For me, I sometimes get the quick reboot and it appears to hang or go black for a while, but it eventually does kick in and goes back to the install screen.

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
What do you mean by it just hangs? For me, I sometimes get the quick reboot and it appears to hang or go black for a while, but it eventually does kick in and goes back to the install screen.
Maybe I haven't let it sit long enough, but, it seems to just hang. Like, literally, nothing will happen after that quick reboot..
[doublepost=1508563548][/doublepost]Apparently, it just takes FOREVER to do its thing and reboot.

Looks like it works. I was apparently too impatient.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Maybe I haven't let it sit long enough, but, it seems to just hang. Like, literally, nothing will happen after that quick reboot..
[doublepost=1508563548][/doublepost]Apparently, it just takes FOREVER to do its thing and reboot.

Looks like it works. I was apparently too impatient.
Cool, that's what I thought. It is unnerving when it goes black and looks like its hanging or nothing is happening. Be patient, forcing a restart or powering down during install can re F things up.