Can’t manage the ATV remote. Are there alternatives besides the app?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jaybar, Oct 5, 2017.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

This is our first ATV (4K). My vision and eye-hand coordination makes using the remote, a nightmare. I find the iPhone remote confusing, unpredictable and equally problematic. Are there alternatives? Are there any tutorials on how to use the iPhone remote? The iPhone remote is set up, but I find it major confusing.

We have no problem mirroring content from iPhone/iPad, but trying to use the ATV “natively” is proving hopeless.

Any suggestions ?

2. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

3. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

And how would that work? I don’t understand.

4. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Get the remote , go into settings then remotes and follow the instructions on how to set it up

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

The ATV 2, 3, 4 and 5 have a IR remote learning feature.

It is in the settings, and is really easy to use. Find an IR remote you want to use. I personally use my TVs' remotes, just make sure the buttons that you use are not ones that will have an impact on the TV.

For example, I usually use the "Back" or "Return" button on the remotes in place of the "Menu" button. As the "Back" button wont have an affect on the TV if pressed, but the menu button will bring up the TV menu.

If you have an old Cable STB remote around, they are great to use because they can be programmed for the TV, but many buttons won't respond to the TV. Luckily, all my TVs' remotes work just fine. Although many of them do not have the advanced button presses like skip, pause, play, rewind, and so on....

6. waw74 macrumors 68040

if your TV supports HDMI-CEC, then your tv remote will automatically control the aTV over the HDMI cable. (just arrows, enter and back)

also the old aTV IR remotes will work, and the codes for those are preprogrammed in most multi-device remotes.

or as people have said the aTV will learn any remote.

7. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Is it just the track pad that is hard to use? I believe you could use the Appletv 3’s remote with physical directional buttons.

8. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Apple TV remote is horrible. Beyond horrible.

9. pojo1806 macrumors 68000