Can’t say “male” on craigslist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I was placing an ad on craigslist for a roommate and it wouldn’t let me post it because I put “male”. It was in the context of letting prospective roommates know that I am a male, nothing discriminatory about it and something I think most people would like to know. I had to change it to "guy" to post it.

I’m thinking it was a glitch because I’ve seen plenty of ads with male and female used in the text, but I think it fittingly shows how much males are being demonized in general.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, where are you located???

[​IMG]

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

It's because you posted under casual encounters instead of housing. :p:D j/k

4. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

San Jose, CA. I feel like I'm one of the few natives left since the tech industry killed a reasonable cost of living. I've heard SoCal isn't much better now.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Socal is getting out of hand for sure.

6. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

There's a lot of random restrictions on Craigslist lately. I don't even use it anymore. This wouldn't surprise me.

7. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Maybe since feminists have decided female is offensive they have banned male as well for good measure.

8. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

What’s the cause in SoCal? I think the tech industry is slowly starting to realize they don’t all need to be located in the Bay Area, but as they spread out they are going to be a plague on the local cost of living wherever they decide to setup shop. At first it will be “Yay, tech jobs!” shortly followed by “You want how much for this **** hole?”

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

tons of people here, plenty who lost their homes are stuck renting .

10. LordVic macrumors 601

I wonder if this is more related to the several issues of people using craigslist and lying about their gender in order to find victims for attack / rape / etc.

Not sure how that would help, but i can see that sort of behaviour.

if it's done cause of identity politics, well then, thats just stupid. Better to be inclusive by adding more to the list, than forcing nothing on the list

11. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Yeah, good luck renting and trying to scrape up a 100k down payment for a house. But hey, foreign nationals will gladly buy a house and rent it back to you fully endorsed by the CA government.

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

13. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I didn't. I might have to try that out next post. I don't need somebody to move in until Sept. 1st but I'm starting to look a bit early in hope that I can find somebody who isn't a complete loon. I've lived with the same roommate for about 8 years so this is kind of a daunting task.

14. MadeTheSwitch, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It might be because I think roommate ads are supposed to be rather generic. I get the impression that the state thinks you shouldn't have any limiting criteria at all and take all comers, but that isn't realistic at all. There's no way a women should be forced to share her apartment with some strange guy she doesn't know.

And as a gay man, I would want to make sure that a prospective renter didn't hate me. A Christian might not want to room with a Satan worshipper. Lots of potential issues out there.

15. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Hmm. That's interesting. My wife and I rented a room out last year and the ads she posted explicitly said we were looking for a female only. I think she posted on Craigslist (I know for sure she used roomster), but maybe not.

I'm not sure how this means males are being "demonized" though.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

Try Mail. Although then any potential roommates might think you were someone who was spelling challenged ;)

17. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

Especially when he didn't even try to see if female worked or not. Some people are just looking to play the victim.

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I like Joey's ad on Friends:

"Seeking female roommate. Non-smoker, non-ugly."

:p

19. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I was way over analyzing. When I saw that was the reason I couldn’t post I thought, gee, now just stating you are a male is going to offend some people. Did you miss the announcement that white males are the cause of all the world's problems if you dig deep enough?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2017 ---
    Interestingly I’ve only got responses from women so far. I think that’s because A). They get their own bathroom and B). I put “I self-identify as a straight guy who doesn’t follow sports. I can field any questions you might have about the not following sports lifestyle.” I’m not saying women are more comfortable with a guy who doesn’t watch sports. I’m saying guys probably aren’t.

20. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Here's the verbiage at the top of the site when I tried placing an ad...

Discrimination by race/origin, age, family status ('no kids' 'ideal for one'), disability, creed, sexual orientation, or income source is illegal under fair housing law. Describe premises, not people.

FHA guidelines include the following...

Shared Housing Exemption -- If you are advertising a shared housing unit, in which tenants will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area, you may express a preference based upon sex only.

So the poster is right. He is being demonized.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Huh. Learn something new everyday.

It seems a little silly to me that the Fair Housing Act would apply to someone seeking a roommate in his/her own personal residence.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It says "If you are advertising a shared housing unit, in which tenants will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area, you may express a preference based upon sex only.

that implies a apartment or some kind of rental. Don't think it applies to a private home.

23. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

The seller (should) get to set the terms for who they want to live there.

For instance: if your place is at the top of a flight of stairs, right off the bat you're discriminating against people who can't walk. Is there an expectation that if someone handicapped wanted to rent the space, you're required to build an elevator or lift system to accommodate them?

24. missbing macrumors regular

missbing

It doesn't say you can't have a preference based on sex. Also if this wasn't a fluke and he couldn't place male (although I think it's either a fluke or made up) in his ad, I would also assume he couldn't place female, so how is he being demonized?

25. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

It was a joke. Demonized was the OP's original words.

Personally I think CL is being true to its Bay Area crunchy granola roots. Though it is a little odd that the OP can't label himself, its likely just a bot or filter.