Can 10.3.9 run on the final generation of IBooks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cnelson, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cnelson macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have recently purchased a used IBook G4 1.42 Ghz to replace an older G4 Ibook I owned. My intention was to take out the new IBook's current hard drive (OS 10.4.2) and replace it with the hard drive in my previous IBook (10.3.9). When I dropped it in and tried to boot I was met with a flashing ?/Apple Face folder logo.

I would like to stick with 10.3.9 for a while until some of third party vendors catch up with 10.5.

So my questions are:

#1. Is it possible to run the last generation of IBook G4 (1.42) with OS 10.3.x?

#2. If so, should I just erase the hard drive and do a clean restart, or am I doing something else incorrectly?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, the final generation of iBooks can't run Panther.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

That model shipped with 10.4.2 which means you probably can't go back to Panther.
    Edit: (iBookG4user beat me to it!)

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Could always stick in your Panther disk and try. :p

5. cnelson thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know for sure? I'm kind of surprised there isn't official Apple documentation on this...

6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

That is the official Apple position. Of course, there are many hacks that very motivated people have come up with. Although I don't know of one that will run Panther on your model G4.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The last generation iBooks shipped with 10.4.2 and Panther was never a disk included, so it won't be able to run it.