Can 17" MacBook use 3 DVI and 1 HDMI monitor simultaneously?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by floridaguyuser, Sep 27, 2012.

1. floridaguyuser macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a used 17" MacBook instead of updating my Windows 7 PC. My PC has 3 monitors connected to it and can simultaneously use my HDTV as a fourth monitor. Is this possible with the last generation 17" MacBook Pro or the new generation MacBook Pro?

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Closest you'll get is with the rMBP, and even that can only output to 3 monitors (not counting the internal display) at the same time.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've not seen a laptop that can output to 4 monitors. Perhaps USB to DVI, but that does not work brilliantly.

4. floridaguyuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Do you know if I could do this with any of Apples desktops?

5. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Mac Pro with a few video cards hooked up.

From Apple:
    ATI Radeon HD 5770
    Ideal for motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, or animation, the ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB of fast GDDR5 memory comes standard — and provides up to 5x more performance than previous Mac Pro standard graphics cards. It also includes two Mini DisplayPort outputs and a dual-link DVI port. With two ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics cards installed, a Mac Pro can support up to six displays.

ATI Radeon HD 5870
    For even more graphics performance, up to 70% greater than the standard card, choose the latest-generation ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of fast GDDR5 video memory. With massive memory bandwidth, the Radeon HD 5870 brings advanced performance to graphics-intensive applications such as motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering, and animation. It also includes two Mini DisplayPort outputs and a dual-link DVI port, so you can power up to three displays with a single card.

Dual-display and triple-display modes
    Both ATI Radeon HD cards each have two Mini DisplayPort outputs and one dual-link DVI output for a total of three video ports. All three ports are available for simultaneous use, depending upon the type of connection, and support multiple displays in two modes. Extended desktop mode allows you to work on three displays at once for increased desktop real estate and enhanced productivity. Video mirroring mode is useful when presenting to groups — the same image that you see on your local display also appears on a projector or auxiliary display. Simply attach multiple monitors and Mac OS X will recognize all the displays. Use the Displays system preference to configure your monitors in either extended desktop or video mirroring mode.

Note: If you are using more than one Mini DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI adapter, only two displays are supported across the three ports. To connect up to two Mini DisplayPort displays and up to a 30-inch DVI display simultaneously, use the ports without any adapters. To connect two DVI displays, use the dual-link DVI port and the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter or the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately). To connect three DVI displays at once, you must use two Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapters (sold separately). To connect up to three VGA displays simultaneously, use the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter and DVI to VGA adapters (sold separately).

6. floridaguyuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the comprehensive and authoritative response. :)

7. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho