Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Still debating between the base 20" iMac as well as the 24" iMac. I was wondering if either one would have a problem powering an external 24" LCD at it's native resolution for a nice dual screen setup?

Thanks!

rmlloyd

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2007
24" rules

Go for the 24" if you can, it rules.

Dual monitor on Mac is also excellent, a few moments after connecting the external monitor to the adapter (you need a mini-dvi -> dvi adapter) the display appears.

Widgets even become active on the external monitor, so the point of zoom when they appear is adjusted between the two monitors (you will know what I mean when you see it).

The only frustration I have with external monitors myself is nothing comes close the the iMac screen (apart from another apple lcd I suppose).

jch

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I've got a Dell 24" (1900 x 1200) monitor running alongside my 24" iMac (also at 1900 x 1200). Yes you need the short (4" long) mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

I've got vmWare Fusion running full-screen on my Dell monitor with a virtual snapshot of my old PC (XP Pro, SP2) running perfectly on it.

So I'm not using the slow, noisy, old Dell box anymore.

Instead I've got a zippy, near silent, iMac running OS X on the main display and my old XP environment on the second monitor (at about 5x the speed of the old XP box).

Couldn't be happier. Making the transition from PC to Mac will be a gradual one as I slowly find/migrate to Mac equivalents of my old PC favourites.

Good luck!
.../j

prs986

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Central CA, USA
As others have said......it does!!! I hook up my 46" Sharp Aquos LCD and it looks amazing! I think the iMacs can only handle up to 1900x1200 and a 1080i/p HDTV is only 1920x1080. It's great to edit and preview on such a HUGE display!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.