Can a 13 MBA support a ultra wide monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jameswgarner, Jun 12, 2014.

1. jameswgarner macrumors member

Looking at the LG 34 inch ultra wide.

LG 34UM95-P 34" Widescreen LED Backlit UltraWide IPS Monitor

Product Highlights
    34" UltraWide 21:9 Display
    3440 x 1440 Resolution
    Covers 99% of the sRGB Color Spectrum
    IPS Panel Technology
    LED Backlit
    320 cd/m² Brightness
    178°/178° Viewing Angles
    2 x HDMI / 1 x DisplayPort Connectors
    2 x Thunderbolt Ports
    100 x 100 VESA Mount Compatible

I think it would be preferable to two smaller monitors but YMMV.

Does the direct display port (thunderbolt) connection from the MBA to the monitor push enough pixels to support the 3440x1440 resolution?
    Any suggestion/alternative would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

The attached is from the Apple web site for the MBA. Looks like the answer is no.

Lou

Attached Files:

3. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Well even if you can't run it at native resolution, you can run it at very close one.
    And with a third party software you might be actually able to push that a little bit of extra.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

It'd be stupid to fork over $1500 on a monitor then screw up the image by running it at a non-native resolution.

5. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Well not the best outcome if it's gonna be used only on MBA :D
    Although there is a chance that it will work, so I would try that in the store at first.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The GPU itself (Intel HD 5000) supports it - it's just a question of if Apple's drivers, and OS X itself support it. Best way to find out is take your laptop to a store that has it on display.

7. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Just brought the LG 34UM95 monitor,
    running it perfectly fine with my MacBook Retina 15" Late, 2013.

Native resolution support, even manage to run Steam (Portal) gaming just fine! :D

Not sure about MacBook Air. Quite demanding.

http://instagram.com/p/pz8Px5kRKT/?modal=true

8. gRF macrumors newbie

MBA 11" -> HDMI -> 2560x1080

I just hooked my LG 25UM65 (21:9 2560x1080) to MacBook Air 11" (2013 model, Intel HD Graphics 5000) via mini display port -> HDMI cable.

Loaded SwitchResX (latest version, at the moment of writing this post: SwitchResX 4.4.1).

I can confirm that 2560x1080 is working via HDMI.

You can find "custom resolution" settings for SwitchResX on Appl Support Forums:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4672999?start=15&tstart=0
    Look for genriquediaz's answer and screenshots

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

demanding....not really.

i can run 4k on a hd4000 quite well.

10. kant macrumors 6502

Sorry to highjack, but what do you think of that monitor? I'm seriously considering getting one but don't live anywhere near where I can go look at one.

11. gRF macrumors newbie

I used to have thunderbolt 27" display, but sold it because of moving to another country. I got used to big screen, lot of space and high resolution. Never liked two screens anyway. Nor I like screens bigger than 27".

I do mostly php, web coding, web design, and occasionally graphic design & pre-press work. It really makes a world of difference (to me) when I can have several programs running on same screen.

After the move, for couple of months I was using cheap 21" 1920x1080 Samsung. It served the purpose, the colors were just OK. Resolution was too small for my taste, but eventually I got used to it. Then it died.

So when I saw LG 25" discounted locally, I immediately ordered it (I too didn't have the opportunity to test it in local shop). It's been two weeks I'm using it, and I got used to it as if it's been with me for ages!

The colors are great (I don't have 27" TB or any other monitor at hand to compare it with), and the text is awesomely crisp. Never before I realized that so many movies were originally made in 21:9 format. :)

The only thing I miss on this monitor is USB3 hub, but I personally wouldn't go for 2560x1080 bigger LG only because of USB3

12. kant macrumors 6502

That's what I was hoping to hear. The 25" seems like a perfect size for that resolution. Better pixel pitch. I like no usb hub; I'm going to stick it on a VESA articulating arm and usb cables would just be in the way.

Now if I can just find out what the differences between their 3 models are. 25UM (55, 64, 65) the um64 has speakers if I recall correctly.

Thanks for replying.