Can a 2010 MBP boot from a HD containing Snow Leopard from an older MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AmbientChaos, Feb 11, 2014.

1. AmbientChaos, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Basically, my 2006 MacBook Pro's display started acting up. There's diagonal lines that cover the boot screen, and after booting it gets stuck on a gray screen. Sometimes you can see a cursor, which has a square inch of corrupt graphics surrounding it. I'm suspecting graphics card problems.

Currently I'm not exploring fixing it, but instead hooking it up to my new MacBook Pro and booting it up from there to back up the data. (I'm afraid that simply the hard disk into an external enclosure and plugging it in will be a headache in terms of user permissions and such, although that probably is my last resort).

Anyway, can this Mid-2010 MacBook Pro (Running Mavericks, not that it matters) boot from a hard drive containing Snow Leopard from a 2006 MacBook Pro, if I plug it in internally? Both installations are Intel Macs, so partitioned using GUID, etc.

Also, because this Mac is unibody and is probably hard to take apart, if I plug the Snow Leopard HD into a external USB enclosure, will that be bootable?

2. simsaladimbamba

If it is a 2013 MBP, then no. If it is a 2010 MBP, then yes.

As it seems to be a 2010 MBP, it is not hard to take apart, only some Philips screwing is involved to remove the bottom plate.
    And if you use an external USB enclosure, it is also bootable.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Thanks, it totally worked. I used an iFixit guide and took the HD out, put it in a USB enclosure and booted it. Slightly slow, but at least it works.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't this work on a 2013 MacBook Pro?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Drivers for the hardware not present for 2013 model on 10.6 it is too old an OS for it.