Can A 3GS Dropped In Water Be Repaired?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djransom, Jan 27, 2012.

1. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My daughter dropped her 3GS in the toilet. The rice trick was attempted to no avail. Can her phone be repaired or does it have to be completely replaced? Thanks in advance.

2. canderton macrumors member

I've dropped my 3GS in a trashcan full of water(don't ask), and it sank to the bottom. The phone was on and for about 3 hours it didn't work correctly, the screen would just flicker, earpiece didn't work, headphone jack didn't work, etc. But by the end of the day the phone was back to normal. I didn't even do the rice trick.

3. jeffsaha macrumors member

yeah you can use it....depends on the damage. My roommate thru his into a cup full of water in the car (he usually puts it there but didnt realize there was a cup there this time) with the charger connected and stayed in there for about 45mins in traffic. I took it and took it apart and cleaned/dried it out and it just worked. The face sensor was busted (replaced for like $5), camera didnt work (bought a replacement for about $10), and thats about it. The rest works just fine :)

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My wife dropped her 3GS in the toilet! She brought it home and I had her place it in a ziplock bag filled with rice and two days later it was good as new...:cool:

5. dischNoutTAspd macrumors regular

i dropped my 4 in a cup of water on accident and put in rice bag for a day it works but the battery drains quickly and i took it apart and noticed the internals are toast.. can it be repaired ?.. no, get it replaced.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Seeing how it's an older 3GS, I would just replace it with an iPhone 4/4S ASAP! Check to see if you are eligible for the upgrade price, $199/$299/$399...:(