Can a brand new, out of the box original iPhone be activated? ::YES!:: Last Post

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jun 23, 2013.

1. braddick, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Fresh out of the box, built the 52'd week of 2007 iPhone 2G. Can it still be activated with AT&T and if so, how?

I don't want to start a process and find myself stuck and unable to go back.
    I remember back in the day you definitely needed iTunes but am fearful the newly installed iTunes may not recognize this iDevice any longer.

Anyone with experience or know-how have a method that will get this iPhone activated?

Edited to change the title of the thread with an update.

2. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It won't activate. You have to either hacktivate it or call AT&T to have it activated. Apple/AT&T no longer have the original iPhone activation servers online.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Ah, jeez. I was afraid of this.
    I don't know as I want the hassle, but if I proceed and get it up and running I'll post whatever procedure was required here.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Please post the battery level. Wonder what it'd be like after 6 years of sitting in the box.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

If you are with att you can always ask for an imei unlock or get unlockfuzion to do it. After that u will be able to activate it with any sim carriers. I still have 2 brand new iphone 2G that are already unlocked thru att.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

8. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Good advice with the unlock yet don't want to update!

Looking forward to running on the older 1. firmware.
    (I know... I know. . . sounds kind of lame but after all the 7.0 talk it got me in the mood to throwback 2007 style.)

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Updating it to iOS 3.1.3 won't help. iTunes still won't be able to activate it because of the down activation servers. I don't think it'll activate on any carrier other than the few official ones that carried the iPhone 2G. If you unlock it, you'll have to hacktivate it or have it already activated. Best thing to do it to call up AT&T and have them make an exception to have it activated.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

seriously? i will be dead. i can leave my old nokia 6590 fully charged and off and it will still have some charge left a few months down the road. but 6 years? no way. batteries are always discharging when unplugged whether being used or not.

11. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    As far as the battery, yes- sure, it was barely a sliver of red after being plugged in for 15 minutes, but did charge up completely. It's been a few days since the 'unboxing' and the battery is better than my iPhone5, but to be fair, I haven't really used it much- just in standby (for now).

12. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I thhink you have not read what i wrote previously! If thhe iphone 2G is official unlocked you can always activate it thru itunes since the imei will be in their white list. No matter how old the device is. I know because I still have 2 and i restore it after I use it from overseas where I don't need to bring my fancy iphone 5.

13. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

When did they shut them down?

14. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Post some pics! Haven't seen a picture of a brand new original iPhone in a long time! It was a piece of art when it first came out. :) :apple:

15. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I did read that. But the iPhone 2G gets activated in a different way than other iPhones. An unlocked one still has problems becoming activated. If the OP did unlock it, he'd still be unable to activate it on AT&T.

They went off line a few years ago. Sometime in 2011 I think.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yeah that's about right. The last two lines that I activated using an original iPhone was three years ago this month. I tried to activate another one several months later and iTunes no longer brought up the sign up screens like it used to.

18. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Surely there must be some kind of manual work around for this, have you spoken to Apple?

19. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

the phone certainly looks cool, but can you bare the super slow EDGE data?...

20. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Barely need it on my iPhone.
    My iPad has LTE and if I need it on the iPhone can switch back to the iP5.

Phone calls and texting takes up 90%+ of my need and usage.
    When it comes to those two needs, there is very little in the way of improvements over the iPhone 2G and the new model.

21. cynics macrumors G4

There is something just cool about that phone.

22. ayres macrumors regular

am i the only one thinking that it is a better idea to leave it untouched in the box?

23. rockitdog macrumors 68020

And wait about 10-15 years...

24. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

And then be lucky to get a couple hundred dollars for it because of the novelty? People who think these things are going to be worth thousands of dollars are just dumb. They sold 6.1 million of them (according to wikipedia), and I'm sure a lot more than a few people socked them away thinking they would get some huge payday some day like it's an Apple I (about 200 were made) or something.

25. srxtr macrumors 6502a

idk, how much do Apple I and II cost these days?