Can a lens (35-80mm) from a nondigital SLR (Nikon f50) be transferred to a DSLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pinkricepudding, Nov 9, 2009.

1. pinkricepudding macrumors newbie

I was recently offered a Nikon d50 from an old school chum of my mothers, for a discounted price (and he also offered to throw in two lenses) while this was a great deal, I had another offer of just the Nikon d50 body for a significantly cheaper price.

Since I already had a 35-80mm lens from our old Nikon f50 I was hesitant to spend the extra cash...

Therefore here's my question, can I use the old film lens on the new digital camera? And if so, what are the side effects?

Thanks!
    Leslie G.

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Yes all the Nikon DSLRs are F-mount, so any F-mount lens will work on them.

As the D50 has an internal focusing motor, your 35-80mm lens will also autofocus. The lower end Nikon DSLRs (D5000 and below) do not have the internal focus motor and will only autofocus with newer AF-S lenses.

Side effects? None, other than due to the 1.5x crop factor of the DSLR, the 35-80mm lens will act like a 50-120mm lens. This might make it a little long for it to be a general lens usage but nothing to say it won't work.

Ruahrc

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

4. dazey macrumors 6502

I use two Pre-Ai (converted) lenses that date back to the 70s on my D3. The only limitation is that if the digital camera does not have an aperture sensing ring then it will not pick up aperture information on manual focus lenses. Don't mount pre-Ai lenses without converting (just requires a bit of attention with a metal file) as it risks damaging digital bodies

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The 35-80 will work fine. but 35mm is not a very wide lens on the Digital camera so you might want to pick up an 18-55mm lens.

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What is it that you need to do? I'm pretty sure I did this already, though no problems so far.

I've got a super old fully manual 35 mm f/2.8. I mounted it to my D700. Should I have done something to the lens first?

SLC

7. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Non-AI Nikon lenses will damage DSLR bodies, with the exception of bodies without a focus motor in them. Assuming your lens is either AI or AIS, you should be fine. You'll just want to make sure you plug in the metering value in the non-cpu menu.

8. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

It will 'work' but I don't know what the point would be. The modern 18-55 zoom is better quality and covers a more usable range. Using that lens from the f50 would be a waste of time and money and adversely affect the quality of your pictures.

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What damage do they cause?

I am totally unaware of this. I ask because my 24-70 sometimes finds a way to loosen itself from the mount, requiring me to twist it back in to locking position.

SLC